• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chimps beat up, murder and then cannibalise their former tyrant

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ibalise-their-former-tyrant?hl=1&noRedirect=1

It was a gruesome scene. The body had severe wounds and was still bleeding despite having been lying for a few hours in the hot Senegalese savanna.

The murder victim, a West African chimpanzee called Foudouko, had been beaten with rocks and sticks, stomped on and then cannibalised by his own community.

This is one of just nine known cases where a group of chimpanzees has killed one of their own adult males, as opposed to killing a member of a neighbouring tribe.
streambe_8c5b2c8a-fb5c-38a5-a242-a5cf0c596a9b--1546184323.jpeg

These intragroup killings are rare, but Michael Wilson at the University of Minnesota says they are a valuable insight into chimp behaviour such as male coalition building.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ibalise-their-former-tyrant?hl=1&noRedirect=1

It was a gruesome scene. The body had severe wounds and was still bleeding despite having been lying for a few hours in the hot Senegalese savanna.

The murder victim, a West African chimpanzee called Foudouko, had been beaten with rocks and sticks, stomped on and then cannibalised by his own community.

This is one of just nine known cases where a group of chimpanzees has killed one of their own adult males, as opposed to killing a member of a neighbouring tribe.
streambe_8c5b2c8a-fb5c-38a5-a242-a5cf0c596a9b--1546184323.jpeg

These intragroup killings are rare, but Michael Wilson at the University of Minnesota says they are a valuable insight into chimp behaviour such as male coalition building.

This is not uncommon. Essentially Chimps are not unlike ourselves but we have the technology to kill more at a time.

This is not uncommon. Essentially Chimps are not unlike ourselves but we have the technology to kill more at a time.

It *is* uncommon. Intra-species killing is normally seen between groups. Intragroup killings are rare.

I would say humans are somewhere between chimps and bonobos. That is, humans are probably more tolerant of outgroups than chimps (not a high bar), but less so than bonobos.

Why did they kill him? Did he try to build a wall to other chimp tribe?
Oh, I see, there were too many males and too few females.

It *is* uncommon. Intra-species killing is normally seen between groups. Intragroup killings are rare.

I would say humans are somewhere between chimps and bonobos. That is, humans are probably more tolerant of outgroups than chimps (not a high bar), but less so than bonobos.

I saw some documentaries on this quite a few years ago. Chimps are intelligent and if they have a problem with aggression they do get together to resolve it in such a manner to protect the tribe. I also believe it is possible that Chimps also have a language with some words given their variation of tones and sounds.

They will of course kill any lone chimp they find from a different group who happens to come across the tribe. They do it for the territory to monopolise access to resources and we do it for the same reason (e.g. oil).

If only humans were more Chimp-like.

Then we would have less problems from authoritarian assholes.

Humans are too forgiving.

Foudouko also had wounds on his fingers. These were likely to have been caused by chimps clamping them in their teeth to stretch his arms out and hold him down during the attack, says Pruetz.

😦

Back
Top Bottom