• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Communication is 50% Presentation, 50% Message

Going to flesh out the original idea a little more as was a little too lazy to do so last night.

Setting the arbitrary percentages aside, I believe there are two components of effective communication:

1) The message that you're trying to convey
2) How you present your message

The purpose of speaking, writing, or whatever you're doing is to to relay something to someone else, however if you're goal is to actually have that message heard by the other party, then you need to present your message in a way which they deem acceptable or consumable.

And so if you want to speak and be heard you not only need to compose a message, you also have to keep in mind how to compose the message so the other party will listen to it.

Anyone see anything wrong with that assertion?

Its AFU and your clarification doesn't make it better.

1. Conditions of communication: hierarchy involved, forum, situation, location, sitting or standing, notes or no, etc

2. Style of presentation: speaker, voice, far away close up, gestures important, etc.

Now build a list for each of the categories I've laid out and others you can envision.

By now message and presenttion should be down in the single digits for any fair minded invididual.

Example 1 business meeting for budget progress and continued funding. Before meeting have to determine orientation of expected audience to shape presentation to meet goals of vote for continued funding, your job depends on that, and sufficient wow factor to get approvals during message while retaining clarity and current technology expected for senior highly respected people both managerial and technical. A beginning.

What is your style, is it expected and comfortable for you and audience.? What should you feature? Can you get participation and can you explain yourself as the expert in the room to others who are may also be competent and to those who aren't competent but have responsibility and agendas.

Hell, this is just the technical stuff and there's a lot more of that.

Are you a good speaker. Are you confident. Do you come across well. Are you liked. Are your rested and ready. Did you go to the john.

Give me a couple minutes and I can rationalize the shit out of your topic

cummon. step up. Suggest something we can get our teeth into.

Happy new year. :):):)

Anyone see anything wrong with that assertion?

1. Conditions of communication: hierarchy involved, forum, situation, location, sitting or standing, notes or no, etc

2. Style of presentation: speaker, voice, far away close up, gestures important, etc.

Now build a list for each of the categories I've laid out and others you can envision.

By now message and presenttion should be down in the single digits for any fair minded invididual.

Example 1 business meeting for budget progress and continued funding. Before meeting have to determine orientation of expected audience to shape presentation to meet goals of vote for continued funding, your job depends on that, and sufficient wow factor to get approvals during message while retaining clarity and current technology expected for senior highly respected people both managerial and technical. A beginning.

What is your style, is it expected and comfortable for you and audience.? What should you feature? Can you get participation and can you explain yourself as the expert in the room to others who are may also be competent and to those who aren't competent but have responsibility and agendas.

Are you a good speaker. Are you confident. Do you come across well. Are you liked. Are your rested and ready. Did you go to the john.

Sounds like a set of variables which go into presentation of the message.

Yeah. Comes naturally to guys like Donald T. Rump, don't it? Impressing the group he wants to impress, preaching to the converted.

Oh presentation is not just the act of presentation. Why use the term at all since most of presentation is analysis and preparation for the act. How about analysis, preparation, presentation. I suppose message is just topic wandering in from the ether.

So you think half of communication is getting stuff together, the message, and the rest is going about choosing, setting up, and activating channels; finding audiences and gathering them. Wow. what about feedback. You know that other thing that has to take place for signal to become communication. Its easy to send and acknowledge receipt of message. (I know it was sent and received) Its much more difficult to take that message and generate a coherent replay which is what is actually a communication. (I think this about what you sent. Over)

I'm obviously not preaching to the converted here.

Communication

snippet

Communication (from Latin commūnicāre, meaning "to share"[1]) is the purposefulactivity of information exchange between two or more participants in order to convey or receive the intended meanings through a shared system of signs andsemiotic rules. The basic steps of communication are the forming of communicative intent, message composition, message encoding, transmission of signal, reception of signal, message decoding and finally interpretation of the message by the recipient.

Back
Top Bottom