• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

D-Day Psyops

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
The D-Day landings at Normandy were accompanied by a massive psyops campain. Tens of million of pamphlets were dropped from the air across Europe. Including pamphlets announcincing the successful landings. Warning French villagers of the massive invasion near the French coast as the landings occured.

This is a rather long read detailing tho massive scope and methods of all of this. Well worth the read if you have interest in WW2.

The scope of WWII is staggering. Total mobilization.

I read a book by Dulles on spy stories from the war. He was in OSS.

The propaganda war.

Lord Haw-Haw was a nickname applied to William Joyce, who broadcast Nazi propaganda to the United Kingdom from Germany during the Second World War. The broadcasts opened with "Germany calling, Germany calling", spoken in an affected upper-class English accent.

The same nickname was also applied to some other broadcasters of English-language propaganda from Germany, but it is Joyce with whom the name is now overwhelmingly identified.

Tokyo Rose (alternative spelling Tokio Rose) was a name given by Allied troops in the South Pacific during World War II to all female English-speaking radio broadcasters of Japanese propaganda.[1] The programs were broadcast in the South Pacific and North America to demoralize Allied forces abroad and their families at home by emphasizing troops' wartime difficulties and military losses.[1][2] Several female broadcasters operated using different aliases and in different cities throughout the territories occupied by the Japanese Empire, including Tokyo, Manila, and Shanghai.[3] The name "Tokyo Rose" was never actually used by any Japanese broadcaster,[2][4] but it first appeared in U.S. newspapers in the context of these radio programs during 1943.[5]
Tokyo Rose ceased to be merely a symbol during September 1945 when Iva Toguri D'Aquino, a Japanese-American disc jockey for a propagandist radio program, attempted to return to the United States.[1] Toguri was accused of being the "real" Tokyo Rose, arrested, tried, and became the seventh person in U.S. history to be convicted of treason.[1] Toguri was eventually paroled from prison in 1956, but it was more than twenty years later that she received an official presidential pardon for her role in the war.[1]

After reading to essay I linked to, I had no idea of the truly vast scope of the U.S. and British efforts to spread air dropped pamphlets and mini-newspaper across Europe in every possible language.

Not everybody cared.
"I don't want to write them letters. I want to kill them."
- General Patton.

Well, it was an extensional war over dictatorship ad authoritarianism vs westrn liberal democracy.

We see it today in Ukraine and the South China Sea.

Patton along with FDR, MacArthur, Eisenhower and the others were the right people for the time.

When the breakout from Normandy stalled Eisenhower authorized carpet bo,bing a path out from the beachheads.

The British eventually returned with firebombing German cities in retaliation for terror bombing on England.

Propaganda is just that. It is usually not about truth, it is about influencing perspiration.

Back
Top Bottom