• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Deep Dish Pizza

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So, I've been inspired to perfect deep dish pizza. I haven't made one before, so perfecting it could take a few tries. I've been looking online and have seen some things and am conglomerating ideas.

My biggest question, however, as I haven't seen anything on it, is does anyone have an idea for the drizzle on the dough itself, just prior to baking. I've been thinking deeply about this and was thinking olive oil isn't enough. It needs to be infused with oregano, maybe a little garlic, possibly even a tiny tiny bit of crushed up salt. Despite being deep dish, I still think any pizza is always about the crust.

The goal this weekend is remaking a Pizzeria Uno Chicago classic that is vegetarian. The sausage is the easy part. I'm more concerned about the crust. I also want to create a Crab Rangoon Pizza, though I'm thinking uber thin crust is best for that idea.

The one time I had deep dish pizza was enough for me. It was like eating a can of tomato paste. I don't get it. Unless one likes eating a can of warm tomato paste with a little bit of Italian spices in it.

The one time I had deep dish pizza was enough for me. It was like eating a can of tomato paste. I don't get it. Unless one likes eating a can of warm tomato paste with a little bit of Italian spices in it.
That is unfortunate. It shouldn't be paste. It should be chunky tomatoes with whatever else.

.Te correct term is 'pizza pie'. A pie with fillings.

To me the generic vendors like Dominos is not pizza, it is thin crappy bread with something called sauce and other stuff.

In Italy there are areas where there is a legal definition of what constitutes a pizza. You can search on pizza in Italy.

That is unfortunate. It shouldn't be paste. It should be chunky tomatoes with whatever else.

Totally agree.

The "whatever else" is what makes it delicious. For me it is a very thick crust and heaps of vegetables. To get the good glaze you are talking about I toss all the toppings lightly in olive oil before applying. And I do bake the crust before adding everything and doing final baking. I sprinkle oregano, coarse salt and basil before final baking.

3cd050bcd81d93040e788994a355de5b.jpg

cc1efcbb8e75f3902b53bf13957196ae.jpg
bd6427370c5446136464a1695afd582c.jpg
f3cf2ec187025c15b7791d7e6e73ec3c.jpg
060638d01e62e2acbc79d4d3471bcfea.jpg

Turned out very well! Sauce recipe I used was very good. I think I’ll reduce salt in next run, otherwise, very happy with my first attempt.

I reduced the salt to about half for the dough and sauce, flavor improved by being less salty.

My wife complained about the sauce kind of like Cheerful Charlie, so I made the same amount of sauce, but instead of adding all of the diced tomatoes to the sauce, I added about 3/4 cup to the sauce during prep and then added the remainder of a 28 oz can to the pizzas before adding the sauce. This meant a bit more pure tomato flavor mixed in with the sauce (which I still think is good, but this provides more layers).

They came out real well. Now I need to make 6 or 8 for my daughters birthday party.

As a note, deep dish pizza can be made just fine in a cake pan. Obviously it should be at least 2 inches on the side, I use a 3 inch one because... that's what I have. Keeps things clean.

When I was growing up going to an Italian pizzeria was an experience.

The first thing that hits you is the aroma of the spices for the sauce. Bay leaf, rosemary, marjoram, thyme.

On a cold day the warmth from the ovens.

Yeah, the tomato sauce cooking and the doughs fill the house with a great aroma for over a day.

32b6eb9e66aed58fe1576b8d87bb110a.jpg

Crab rangoon deep dish.

Pretty much folded green onion at the end, so flavor wasn’t overly green onion.

Big problem is serving it is a mess. For those trying at home, springform pan it. That’ll allow large clean cuts otherwise it’ll be a mess.

That is a provolone and mozzarella mix added to the top after baking but before broiling till browned.

Definitely recommend small 6 inch pan. Too rich otherwise... you’ll also need a couple batches of rangoon.

Back
Top Bottom