• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do some internet sites catering to the awkward/maladjusted make things worse?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Was reading about Elliot Rodger the sorority killer in California. He is an obvious extreme, but did he did get bolstered and indoctrinated by going to angry/self pitying bulletin boards?

Just the fact that the people as a group at those sites have a world view that limits the discussion of the causes and solutions to their social problems can't be good. Also, sometimes it is helpful to talk to people who are having a good time at life instead of mopers.

I think that forming your world view from social loners is very bad.

People want to be around people that reciprocate at least in a token manner. Does the Pick up Artist community and the extreme MRAs focus on giving people something to like about its members?

Thinking about this a bit longer, when these isolated groups do is portray themselves as victims but also the rest of society as robots that can manipulated if done right.

The real irony is that when you are only concerned about getting screwed over you have no capability to be guilelessly generous or even happy.

Last edited:
I know it is a bit gauche to bump your own thread, but this is interesting and related to the recent mass shooting:

The video shows a smart, genuine and obviously fat guy talking about benign crushingly lonely. He is making a lot of sense and I think he is trying to undo a lot of brainwashing he has undergone at the hands of a community of people who are awkward and in pain - as well as sharks trying to make money off of them.

Also, what about the 2009 Pittsburgh area shooting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Collier_Township_shooting

Back
Top Bottom