• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do we think & communicate (almost) entirely in fabricated stories?

JohnG

Basic Beliefs
Non- theist
I can’t shake the sinking feeling that we (humans) communicate entirely by stories/narratives.

I’m certain there are educated philosophers/social scientists who can set me straight here, but I think I can make a pretty good case.

This theory is this: facts and evidence are very minor players in someone’s worldview and how they communicate, They can be incorporated as window dressing, or a minor prop, but not integral to the story they tell. They don’t even need to be in the story at all.

It’s all about Feelings.

Some examples: “They’re eating the cats & dogs”

The facts are not what’s important - the feeling is the key - people are afraid of change and of people who look different. The pet story conveys this message much better, faster, and clearer

“Chen trails are real”

It’s a story about the teller having secret knowledge and (again) fear of chemicals (chemophobia) or institutions (govt) - feeling powerless

“I helped my buddy with his mower yesterday”

The guy at work tells you of his heroism by going over to his neighbours yard, successful diagnosing the issue and using his bare hands pulls a stick out of the blade and saves the day.

While some or all of it may be true, it’s told in a way that presents the teller in a positive light.

“God is my saviour” No better example exists than the belief in religion. It’s a story that celebrates whatever culture is telling it. It’s about feelings - the described events are not important. They are only important for conveying a feeling or emotion.

I’m aware that we are pattern seekers, but I’m talking deeper than that. It seems to have explanation power for a lot of weird social behaviour. Tribalism, racism, greed, conspiracy theories, religion,

It’s depressing because misinterpreting facts (or completely ignoring) leads to very bad outcomes.

Any thoughts? Can anyone recommend some reading?

The closest I have found is The Theory Of Narrative Thought

I think it’s more pervasive than this theory implies

Back
Top Bottom