• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Doctrine of Infallibility

alwmjohnson

Basic Beliefs
Naturalist
What do you think of the Doctrine of Infallibility? For me, this doctrine correlates with inerrancy. For religions, infallibility includes saying my/our religion can't err because I/we have the Truth. Infallibility is about being right absolutely and without exception. Infallibility proclaims the inerrancy of the Bible. In 1870, the Roman Catholic Church formally announced the doctrine of papal infallibility on matters of faith and doctrine. However, all religions have some doctrinal forms of infallibility of their doctrine and dogma. Proscription includes an infallibility concerned with banning, restraining, and restricting. It denounces those who are disagree. Proscriptive dogmas frequently concern denouncing, condemning, prohibiting, ostracizing, and forbidding. Religious dogmas often marginalize those who are different, and can reject societies disenfranchised. Proscriptive religions perform holy wars, crusades, jihads, and inquisitions. Proscription can involve a destruction of those who dare-to-differ from their religions infallible view of reality. Dogmas are often about restricting and a denaturalizing of Nature’s revelations and gifts. Amgod is dogma spelled backwards. Infallible dogmas always go beyond religious belief and ultimately head in the direction of power, control, economics, politics, money and wealth. Dogma is “deus ex machine,” or “god from the machine.” The machine of concrete thinking and robotic behaviors. Immanuel Kant said, "the death of dogma is the birth of morality." For Dorothy Parker, "you can't teach an old dogma new tricks." I suspect Voltaire had in mind Catholic Church dogma and persecution when he stated, "ecraser l'infame;" i. e. "crush the infamous thing!"

Back
Top Bottom