• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does Supersymmetry obviate the need for a multiverse?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
I had always assumed that the fine tuning argument for the universe was simply disproved by the idea of a multiverse. The multiverse explains that there are infinitely many other universes out there, most without the ability to evolve intelligent life, and we just happen to live in one that can support life - of course. It has always made intuitive sense to me, and from my understanding the rule of quantum physics show how it could easily arise. The masses and properties of fundamental particles actually varies across the spectrum in other universes.

However a recent article on Supersymmetry I've been reading states that the masses and other properties of fundamental particles can be explained by Supersymmetry - that is that other particles exist that are symmetric, but much heavier than other particles explains the properties of our fundamental particles. Thus the multiverse is an alternative theory to supersymmetry.

Of course supersymmetry has yet to be experimentally verified. It may happen soon though.

SLD

Personally, I have never seen any reason in physics to assume a multiverse. The idea is a philosophical idea, not a physics idea. The masses and properties of fundamental particles are what they are… why is a philosophical question. Could they have been different is also a philosophical question.

The Multiverse model does appear to be related to Physics, however unlikely. If the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum, wave collapse, etc, is incorrect, and probability waves do not collapse, it may be that every possible particle position is expressed in the form of an alternate universe.....

You can argue against fine-tuning simply by pointing out that 99% of the Universe is inhospitable space, not only that but that inhospitable space is expanding. A static Universe would make much more sense with the fine-tuning argument.

The Multiverse model does appear to be related to Physics, however unlikely. If the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum, wave collapse, etc, is incorrect, and probability waves do not collapse, it may be that every possible particle position is expressed in the form of an alternate universe.....

As you said: its an interpretation. It really doesnt matter.

Back
Top Bottom