• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Elizabeth Warren's 11 commandments for progressives

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
Elizabeth Warren's 11 commandments for progressives show Democrats don't disagree on much

"We believe that Wall Street needs stronger rules and tougher enforcement, and we're willing to fight for it."

"We believe in science, and that means that we have a responsibility to protect this Earth."

"We believe that the Internet shouldn't be rigged to benefit big corporations, and that means real net neutrality."

"We believe that no one should work full-time and still live in poverty, and that means raising the minimum wage."

"We believe that fast-food workers deserve a livable wage, and that means that when they take to the picket line, we are proud to fight alongside them."

"We believe that students are entitled to get an education without being crushed by debt."

"We believe that after a lifetime of work, people are entitled to retire with dignity, and that means protecting Social Security, Medicare, and pensions."

"We believe—I can't believe I have to say this in 2014—we believe in equal pay for equal work."

"We believe that equal means equal, and that's true in marriage, it's true in the workplace, it's true in all of America."

"We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform."

"And we believe that corporations are not people, that women have a right to their bodies. We will overturn Hobby Lobby and we will fight for it. We will fight for it!"

Nothing too controversial . . . oh well.

She needs at least a 12th: We believe that schemes to limit the electorate have no place in a decent democracy, and that those who push those schemes are the moral equivalent of the Mississippi Citizens Council.

Don't like it at all. Poorly written.

"We believe that Wall Street needs stronger rules and tougher enforcement, and we're willing to fight for it."
We believe that those enforcing regulations should not have conflicts of interest within the industries they are regulating.

"We believe in science, and that means that we have a responsibility to protect this Earth."
We believe that a sustainable path of existence is necessary both for the health and security of us as individuals and as a nation

"We believe that the Internet shouldn't be rigged to benefit big corporations, and that means real net neutrality."
We believe that corporations should not be allowed to hold monopolies on content and the conduits of which that content is provided.

"We believe that no one should work full-time and still live in poverty, and that means raising the minimum wage."
We believe that people that work full-time should have the means and ability to provide their families with food and shelter.

"We believe that fast-food workers deserve a livable wage, and that means that when they take to the picket line, we are proud to fight alongside them."
REPEAT OF ABOVE

"We believe that students are entitled to get an education without being crushed by debt."
We believe the 21st Century requires advanced education to succeed. The antiquated higher education system must be remodeled in order to provide students the appropriate educations they need without the burden of either substantial debt or time.

"We believe that after a lifetime of work, people are entitled to retire with dignity, and that means protecting Social Security, Medicare, and pensions."
Social security and Medicare are part of a social contract with our elderly population and should not be put at risk. People that met their part of the contract when working deserve the government's end of the contract to be upheld.

"We believe—I can't believe I have to say this in 2014—we believe in equal pay for equal work."
Equal work for equal pay.

"We believe that equal means equal, and that's true in marriage, it's true in the workplace, it's true in all of America."
This ship has already sailed.

"We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform."
America needs to be honest with itself and its economic relation to both immigration, illegal immigration, and how certain problems within the US regarding firearms and drug use affect the nations near us.

"And we believe that corporations are not people, that women have a right to their bodies. We will overturn Hobby Lobby and we will fight for it. We will fight for it!"
We believe that corporations are non-anthropomorphic entities that trade certain rights in exchange for other privileges.

And finally something that was not included.
We believe partisan politicians should not be involved with governing elections including the process of redistricting.

Last edited:
The original phrasing was better. I can see why Jimmy made the changes he did, but they reduce the impact

First, a commandment is, you know, a COMMAND. A set of things that start out with "we believe" is a creed or a manifesto or the Bill of Rights.

Second, there is absolutely nothing humans can do to influence the existence of the earth (the planet Earth) one way or the other unless we decide to blow the whole thing up -- we can't "save the planet" in any other sense. The existence of homo sapiens, on the other hand, is pretty fragile and I wouldn't bet folding money on their survival much beyond 500 years hence.

Third, the whole thing is poorly written and sounds like a fluttery-handed vegan wailing over "sustainability".

If I wanted to lampoon "progressives" this is how I'd do it.

Second, there is absolutely nothing humans can do to influence the existence of the earth (the planet Earth) one way or the other unless we decide to blow the whole thing up -- we can't "save the planet" in any other sense. The existence of homo sapiens, on the other hand, is pretty fragile and I wouldn't bet folding money on their survival much beyond 500 years hence.
Which is why I adjusted its scope.

Third, the whole thing is poorly written and sounds like a fluttery-handed vegan wailing over "sustainability".
Sustainability is important because resources cost money and lives.

I was amused by the non-sequiturs (We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform. - wtf?)

And the recentness bias (fast food worker strikes? Hobby Lobby?).

The original phrasing was better. I can see why Jimmy made the changes he did, but they reduce the impact
Exactly. As propaganda, and I mean that in the non-pejorative sense of 'media intended to influence the attitude of a population toward some cause or position,' Warren's version is much better.

I was amused by the non-sequiturs (We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform. - wtf?)

And the recentness bias (fast food worker strikes? Hobby Lobby?).

I definitely agree with some of these criticisms. The fast-food workers striking is perhaps too small scale to include a specific reference. The term "living wage" has a powerful emotional effect and the previous "commandment" regarding the living wage should have been left to stand alone. On the other hand, the Hobby Lobby decision will rally the female electorate against the Republicans and thus should be repeated again and again by those seeking to further the Democratic cause. The "War on Women" I think has been one of the few instances where the Dems have been able to beat the Repubs at the game of public perception.

I think John McCain said it best, "I think that there is a perception out there because of how this whole contraception issue played out — ah, we need to get off of that issue, in my view."

Exactly. As propaganda, and I mean that in the non-pejorative sense of 'media intended to influence the attitude of a population toward some cause or position,' Warren's version is much better.

I tend to think of propaganda as attempting to sway the masses, and I can't imagine this would do that. This is really only going to appeal to people who are already true believers.

I tend to think of propaganda as attempting to sway the masses, and I can't imagine this would do that. This is really only going to appeal to people who are already true believers.

I disagree, especially on the War on Women and Living Wage issues. They are very powerful. They will sway the mob. Only a true believer on the other side wouldn't be able to see that.

ETA: Also, the whole immigration thing, I agree that it is terribly worded, even from a propagandistic point of view. However, the Dems should be able to utilize the immigration issue as a sort of "reverse dog-whistle."

Me! I'm not racist!

I disagree, especially on the War on Women and Living Wage issues. They are very powerful. They will sway the mob. Only a true believer on the other side wouldn't be able to see that.
The War on Women is purely propaganda. It isn't like women are being paid 90 cents to the dollar, having their reproductive choices scrutinized by strangers, or being doubted about claims of rape (ie Todd Akins' 'legitimate rape' quote). It isn't like Republicans continue to cram their own feet into their mouth about woman relative to reproduction and rape.

Last edited:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4NGSnSvUTg[/youtube]

Bill Burr is great. He has lots of good stuff on Youtube.

As far as the 11 commandments, its all just standard liberal talking points. Yawn. No tangible goals, specifics or solutions... just whining She also neglected to beat on Walmart, nuclear energy, fracking and racist white people. Maybe she should expand it to 20 commandments.

Back
Top Bottom