• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Evolution of Religion

Macroscopist

Basic Beliefs
Scientific atheist
If one looks at religion in general, it appears to me they develop in an almost evolutionary way, driven by chance events and the peculiar characteristics of the human mind. Chance events happen all the time, and can be interpreted in many ways by people experiencing them. In the past, when the scientific method was not understood, misinterpretation of “strange” events was a very probable driver for the initiation of religious beliefs. Most of these initial beliefs probably died out because they didn’t quite fit within the environment, the common person’s view of the world. And/or whatever idea it was could not compete with the other religious views of the time and place. But occasionally, as in other evolutionary environments, a random idea would stick. And it would do this by connecting with other disparate ideas available in the minds of people at the time and place. Once established, the idea could be combined with more and more religious ideas, growing a nucleus that could then take on a life of its own. It would become “the Truth” for those accepting it. See my previous reference of the Judaic Bible’s development.

But how is this done? How can you make a “truth” from unsupported ideas?

People, all people, because of our evolutionary history have behavioral characteristics in common. Modern scientific psychology has begun to study this, and it turns out children are far from the “blank slates” once thought. We are all born with built in mental capabilities and biases.

One of these hereditary characteristics is being “risk averse”. Children recognize certain situations as being risky, dangerous, and actively avoid them. The most commonly recognized such situation for babies would be the absence of parents (or an acceptable parent substitute) in an unfamiliar place or circumstance. Almost everyone has seen the fearful reaction of a child who feels abandoned. We are born with this because children who reacted in this way survived more often to adulthood.
There is also the “hidden tiger” scenario, where a child hears something they don’t recognize emanating from something hidden from them. Most children find this very disturbing because it is better to assume the worst in such a situation and be wrong, than to not do so. Many adults react the same way, given the right circumstances. Again, in human history it was better to be wrong about a potentially threatening situation than to ignore it and suffer the consequences. Those not reacting to a real tiger behind the bush didn’t live to pass on their genes. Those that mistakenly did so, suffered no loss of progeny.

These are examples of hereditary biases, which can be used to enforce unsupported beliefs in gullible people.

There is another one I’ve obliquely mentioned more important than any other. People have a need to feel cared for, to feel the world’s unpredictable vagaries can be buffered by some agency having an interest in us — that loves us, in the same way a parent loves their child. They don’t call God, “God the Father” only for his supposed creative ability, and Jesus is attractive for the very reason that people are taught he loved and sacrificed himself for human beings, even bad ones.

This is the carrot. The reason people in turmoil turn to Jesus/God and beg him for help. It is the reason people find the story of Jesus so compelling. And, it is something hammered home in every Christian church.

This is the carrot, but there is also a stick.

One of the principle Christian beliefs is the belief in “original sin”. The idea that the first man God created (Adam) broke God’s only and primary rule; he ate the fruit of a certain tree God had commanded he should not eat of, and this one act brought all evil into existence and stained all of humanity since. We human beings, the children of Adam, are all by nature bad, disobedient and hopelessly wrong. Therefore, God will and must torment us all in the eternal fires of Hell upon our death, unless we believe in his son, Jesus, and his resurrection. With Faith, we have a “get out of jail free card.” But watch out! Its so easy for Faith to slip away because the world we live in (God’s world, we are told) provides so little (none in actual fact) evidence of any truth in any of this.

So, all of this is designed to make doubting the Christian Faith as difficult as possible — to actually feel down right dangerous. Who wants to take a chance of burning in Hell forever, especially when Jesus loves us so much? Too much to lose, so why even think about it. Its better not to think at all, and hold onto the fantasy.

I grew up in this memetic trap, and don’t kid yourself, that’s exactly what it is. It took me many years to completely rid myself of it, and I became a scientist. There are many additions and extensions of the Christianity trap, as well. You’re told people without religion are immoral because morality requires Faith in God. Cow dung!

Scientific psychological research into what children are born with strongly indicates this just isn’t so. Human beings evolved to be social creatures who are born with a well developed sense of fairness, right and wrong. We don’t need a god to tell us what is right or wrong, and “common morality” is not derived from God but from the human mind.

Does that mean people are always moral? No, it does not, but in my experience, if someone wants to go wrong, faith in a god rarely stops them. The very mental characteristics making people susceptible to religion, also make it possible for them to imagine any number of excuses for bad behavior. Believing in one fantasy, makes believing in others easier.

Morality can and should be socially encouraged. But you don’t need God to do this, and threatening people with “eternal hellfire” can’t be as good as giving people (especially children) good, solid, logical reasons for behaving in socially acceptable ways. Love works with the truth as well.

But, its not my intention to offer child rearing advice. Again, many people far more adept at it than I have written books and give parenting classes. The resources are out there to be used, especially in this age of internet information.

Instead I’d like to continue to point out how difficult Christianity (or any supernaturalism) makes straight, honest thinking. One of the biggest problems is the common loss of social connections that often occur when an atheist “comes out of the closet.” People you didn’t know were religious can suddenly turn away from you like you have a contagious disease. People within your family can turn against you (after they find out you’re really serious about it). People you really don’t want to hurt are devastated (mothers, grandmothers, wives, fathers, brothers, sisters and close friends). Some of these people will eventually return to you, but some won’t because they come to believe you are doomed and they can’t remain in your presence. This is probably the most difficult test visible atheists face. As I said, we are social animals and the penalty can be very painful and trying. I’m certain the reason I personally remained hidden for so long was an inability to face this situation.

I found, however, many of my closest family members and associates had already guessed my thinking, and had adjusted to it to some degree before I “came out.” This strangely helped to a degree because I didn’t have to face as much shock. Besides, once one becomes internally certain of one’s atheistic beliefs, it becomes harder and harder to be hypocritical about it. After all, one of the worst characteristics visible in the Christian community is the common presence of people divided between their “Faith” and their understanding of reality. Hypocrisy is universal within religious communities, and atheism is founded on adherence to the natural truth of the world.

So, I am an atheist proclaimed. Once I publish this blog entry, it can spread across the world. Am I a little proud of the fact? Just a little, not so very much because I hid from the fact for a long time (many years), and realize if I had been a bit more honest, with a bit more courage, I could have been clear and honest much sooner. But I do feel better now.

Honesty is freeing, and a little up lifting despite the consequences.

“Faith is believing what you know ain't so.”
Mark Twain,
-Following the Equator

Back
Top Bottom