• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fat-loss without exercise?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
I am not able to exercise intensely much now, In a couple months I may be able to...

Anyway, I think this question will be useful for others here as well.

I want to keep this separate from a ketogenic diet or the Atkins diet, which seem tough to follow. Though I may work my up to doing one of them.

As a background I eat a fair amount of carbs and too much of that is high glycemic.

So, say that I were to eat at a total deficit of 400-500 Calories a day and have a lower fraction of carbs in that and almost no high Glycemic food. Would my body be able to sense this and start to use my own body fat without doing exercise? Or do you have to go what down to the trace levels of carbs found in the ketogenic diet for this to happen?

Are there any supplements that are actually effective for fat burning?

I am not able to exercise intensely much now, In a couple months I may be able to...

Anyway, I think this question will be useful for others here as well.

I want to keep this separate from a ketogenic diet or the Atkins diet, which seem tough to follow. Though I may work my up to doing one of them.

As a background I eat a fair amount of carbs and too much of that is high glycemic.

So, say that I were to eat at a total deficit of 400-500 Calories a day and have a lower fraction of carbs in that and almost no high Glycemic food. Would my body be able to sense this and start to use my own body fat without doing exercise? Or do you have to go what down to the trace levels of carbs found in the ketogenic diet for this to happen?

Are there any supplements that are actually effective for fat burning?

I understand some have used moderate fasting over several cycles to achieve long lasting weight loss. Of course one would have to develop means to keep one's regulators in check over the sequence so one doesn't just wind up back with excess fat. That would be a real waist-er.

Those of us with real limiting issues such as heart failure need to be very careful here. I'm finding that an accompanying condition, hypothyroidism, can be useful to those ends. There seems to be a level thyroid supplement that engages 'fullness' responses after little eating. The problem here is that it is near the point where one's doctor will recommend reducing dosage.

So not actual fat burning by itself, but, fat burning with diet regulation. Of course I'm extra motivated since I'm also diabetic

As I understand the body, it is keyed to survival so regulates metabolism accordingly. A significant decrease in caloric intake will trigger a decrease in metabolic rate – the body trying to conserve its energy as in a famine situation. This makes it much more difficult to lose weight than eating more and exercising which increases the body’s metabolic rate. The exercise itself requires higher metabolism plus adding the benefit of a more physically fit body and, from what I have read, improves the immune system making one healthier.

Of course if you consume less calories than the body requires with even the lower metabolic rate then there will be weight loss but that seems to be more painful and unhealthy to me than a little exercise. But then I enjoy being active.

One has to compensate differently if one hasn't the capability to properly exercise for weight loss. If the body can tolerate low caloric intake then the fasting program might work. Of course if one doesn't have either diabetes or an under productive thyroid then doctor prescribed supplements may be a choice. I'll stand aside on that.

In starvation mode without exercise the body will use a lot of protein for energy. This is not good.

During exercise, after a certain point, the body uses mostly fat for energy. This is good.

Back
Top Bottom