• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Food Processor?

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Pantheist
My wife has gained a sudden interest in cooking, at least in a certain recipe that requires a food processor. So we are shopping, but there is a confusing variety of models and sizes. Any recommendations? I might add that 95% of our cooking is just for the two of us and counter/storage space is limited, so those are some considerations. I prepare food once or twice a week and find the prep tedious (chopping etc.), so welcome the idea. Also, it might help expand my repertoire.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered in this forum.

It depends on what you want it to do, I'd think. When I think of a 'food processor' I typically think of something like this (not necessarily this specific one). But a unit like this is better at pulverizing food than chopping - creating sauces, peanut butters etc. You could use a 'pulse' feature for chopping but this might be overkill.

Alternatively, you could get a hand blender like this, which can also be good for chopping vegetables but I think of it better for uses like coleslaw - processing cabbage, carrots into very fine pieces.

But if what you're after is chopping vegetables into coarse pieces quickly, you might be looking for something manual like this. I find this does a better job of 'coarse' cuts, and we actually own this exact unit. My only complaint is that after a while the cutting pieces became slightly bent which made it harder to put together after cleaning.

In the end I ended up preferring a knife. It takes longer but you can control the size of your pieces with precision.

I use my Mom's old Oster food processer that is from the late 70s. I bought a small 3 cup Cuisinart at a garage sale which has been good at grinding oats into oat flour and peppermint candy into small bits for whatever, and pesto. Based on what you've mentioned, I'd probably recommend an 8 cup processor, and go with something that isn't crazy expensive. All you are really looking for is something that has a slicer and shredder.

I wish I could provide more help.

It depends on what you want it to do, I'd think. When I think of a 'food processor' I typically think of something like this (not necessarily this specific one). But a unit like this is better at pulverizing food than chopping - creating sauces, peanut butters etc. You could use a 'pulse' feature for chopping but this might be overkill.

Alternatively, you could get a hand blender like this, which can also be good for chopping vegetables but I think of it better for uses like coleslaw - processing cabbage, carrots into very fine pieces.

But if what you're after is chopping vegetables into coarse pieces quickly, you might be looking for something manual like this. I find this does a better job of 'coarse' cuts, and we actually own this exact unit. My only complaint is that after a while the cutting pieces became slightly bent which made it harder to put together after cleaning.

In the end I ended up preferring a knife. It takes longer but you can control the size of your pieces with precision.

My understanding was that a food processor would do both - chop and puree - which is a combination that would work well for me. But I like your suggestions. Two appliances that could be stowed in drawers would help out with our limited counter space.

Big, heavy, and expensive if you want something that last, does it's job well and goes from chop to puree. Breville, Cuisinart, and Vitamix. If chopping will do while searching for what probably hasn't been invented yet, I default to OXO. They have never disappointed. For less than $100, you can get a chopper, a grater, and a manual food processor that are all small and lightweight.

Thanks for the responses - they help me put what I want into perspective. The recipe my wife is in love with involves making a puree of flax seed, black beans, water and a few other ingredients. It sounds like a food processor is what's needed for that. My desire for assistance in slicing and chopping things might be better served by a much cheaper, dedicated tool like this one.

While, I no longer do the cooking and my husband usually enjoys prepping the old fashioned way, I've had 3 food processors in my life. I prefer the Kitchen Aide. They lasted me longer than the Cuisinart. They are easier to put together, to clean and to use. Of course, there might be some newer versions of the Cuisiart that have improved, but my preference is for the Kitchen Aide.

I used to love to make a dish called Basmatic rice pilaf. It only took a few minutes to chop the onions and shred the carrots that made up a large portion of the recipe, and there's even an easy way to chop garlic. Anyway, have fun. Cooking can be a good hobby, especially during a pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom