• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Geographical locations that terrify

Basic Beliefs
Skeptic, agnostic
Hello

Myself and my wife were walking near Dorking in Surrey in September 2017. It was mid afternoon. On the walk back towards Dorking we saw a signpost indicating a path to the remains of a castle, Betchworth Castle. We checked on the map and decided to go and take a look at it. We walked the path across the golf course there, quite a few people were out and about playing. It was worth seeing, in ruins but identifiable as a castle. It was reasonably close to a steep drop down to a lake, was quite a view across to the North Downs. We looked a round a bit, took a few photos and then I took a few of my wife with the ruins as a backdrop. It was at that point - and the hairs on the back of my neck are rising now as I type this, and rise every time I recall it - that a feeling of utter terror overcame me. I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. It was a feeling of utter dread, deeply unpleasant. I didn't want to worry my wife and just set about getting moving away at a brisk pace. I was okay once we had a bit of distance betwen us and the ruins. I asked my wife what she had thought about the castle - she just said that she didn't like it but I don't think she had had the same reaction as me.

On the train back I looked it up. The Wikipedia page mentions a bit of a strange history, hauntings, "unexplained things"...I had never read anything about it before as far as I could recall and certainly if I had done I didn't have anything playing on my mind as we approached it.

I can't really make sense of what happened, would be interested to hear your thoughts. Have you had similar experiences?

Jason

I used to get anxiety attacks in certain types of social situations. Had the strong impression that a meteor was about to crash through the ceiling. Seems that I had some personal issues I needed to look at.

I used to get anxiety attacks in certain types of social situations. Had the strong impression that a meteor was about to crash through the ceiling. Seems that I had some personal issues I needed to look at.

It could well be an accumulation of subconscious or conscious thoughts, feelings, experiences at a certain point, potentially triggered by something quite subtle. You have reminded me of something which is that I have in the past - although thankfully very rarely - had panic attacks. In that situation, however, I know the event or situation that has triggered them....but I cannot explain or understand why I have had that reaction. I'm not aware of anything that is unsettling me day to day. Perhaps its just something that is going to happen from time to time.

What I may do is return to those castle ruins with a completely open mind and see how I feel. Will be difficult not to carry the memory but still interesting.

Infrasound can cause feelings of dread in some people and can be generated by a variety of natural and manmade processes. You might try looking for a low-frequency spike on a smartphone spectrum analyzer app if you go back and feel that fear again.

Infrasound can cause feelings of dread in some people and can be generated by a variety of natural and manmade processes. You might try looking for a low-frequency spike on a smartphone spectrum analyzer app if you go back and feel that fear again.

Interesting, could have a variety of causes, so might reoccur in the same place or possibly somewhere apparently at random. I should try to remember this. I will also look into getting an app.

Thanks for your responses so far: two things I wouldn't have thought of. :)

Back
Top Bottom