• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

HP Envy Desktop

BH

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
I bought an HP envy desktop a few weeks ago from BestBuy. I just need it for causal online book reading, you tube video watching, and being here. Did I purchase a good computer?

If it does what you want, it is a good system. I was recently over at crucial.com pricing memory and SSDs. Prices have dropped dramatically. The computer boffins are predicting a rise in prices starting in 2024. Now's the time to upgrade memory or SSDs if you want to. Add maybe a SSD for backups. You cannot have enough memory. Or enough backups.

There was a time when the brand mattered, but I think that is long past.

It needs to be fast enough for what you want to do and have enough memory for your apps.

My PC is Dell hat I got at Costco on a friend's membership card. I don't play video games so I don't need a lot of graphics capability. My display is a cheap Costco TV with an HDMI input.

There is always 'buyer's remorse'.

I bought an HP envy desktop a few weeks ago from BestBuy. I just need it for causal online book reading, you tube video watching, and being here. Did I purchase a good computer?
If that was all you needed, a Chromebook with an HDMI out would probably have worked for less.

Cheap chrome books tend to have soldered on memory and SSD. To get better you might as well go with a real laptop. But a Desktop allows ability to have a large monitor and better keyboard. If you do not demand portability, a desktop is best.

While true, if all they wanted was to use the Internet, a Chromebook is very sufficient. It can't be upgraded, has serious limitations with what programs can be used, but again, if just the Internet, it is stable and fast being all solid state. You get what you pay for, of course, but it sounded like that is what they needed.

Back
Top Bottom