• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is racism really the issue here (Wang)

The only reference to a penis that this last name implies was made by the OP. Neither the actress, the studio, or the journalist made that connection. The point of the article was that the actress was not getting callbacks for roles that called for American women when her name implied she was an Asian woman. Is anyone surprised or outraged? If my name was "Omar Mumbabwii" and I applied for the "Mrs. Daisy" role in "Driving Mrs. Daisy", is it racism or sexism that I do not get a callback (cause it's just got to be one of those)?

I wonder if racism was at play over the original casting in Hellboy;

Daniel Dae Kim will take over for Ed Skrein as fictional character Maj. Ben Daimyo in the upcoming "Hellboy" reboot, his rep confirmed to ABC News. Skrein dropped out of the project last month amid concerns over inappropriate casting for the character's race, as Daimyo is Japanese-American in the comic books.

ABC News

I know a guy who's last name is Nakamura who is a white as can be, with ginger hair and freckly skin. This sort of thing illustrates the industry's lazyness and stupidity, which are also two hallmarks of racists, not coincidently.

Back
Top Bottom