• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the FBI investigation actually about the Clinton Foundation and not emails?

No, there are no formal accusations yet. She is being investigated over allegations that she used a private server to handle classified information. As my infosec and compusec training told me, if she actually did that she did so in violation of several federal laws.

This morning's press conference reminded me of a county prosecutor I once met who had a 100 percent conviction rate. When asked how he achieved such a thing, his answer was simple: "I don't prosecute unless I'm 100 percent sure I can get a conviction."

So there are not going to be any formal accusations, no charges pursued, and no indictment of the Secretary. She was careless, not a criminal.

Eh. It likely was criminal, but very hard to prove in a court of law. That is the nature of these things. It's a lot like accusations of sexual assault or rape. Likely true, but hard too often difficult to prosecute successfully.

This morning's press conference reminded me of a county prosecutor I once met who had a 100 percent conviction rate. When asked how he achieved such a thing, his answer was simple: "I don't prosecute unless I'm 100 percent sure I can get a conviction."

So there are not going to be any formal accusations, no charges pursued, and no indictment of the Secretary. She was careless, not a criminal.

Eh. It likely was criminal, but very hard to prove in a court of law. That is the nature of these things. It's a lot like accusations of sexual assault or rape. Likely true, but hard too often difficult to prosecute successfully.

This is not really anything like an accusation of sexual assault or rape.

This strikes me as something they simply didn't have and it was irresponsible for Comey to throw out "gross negligence." It sounds like something he thought it might be in layman's terms, but not having any vital legal meaning.

My guess is that they had a team of lawyers look at this from top to bottom and could only could conclude that they didn't have what it took to even make an accusation of criminal wrongdoing. It sounds like they really, really wanted to, but just didn't have it.

Ya, she might even find herself on the receiving end of a sternly worded note.

I totally called this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that it's a fake charge and the only reason the accusers are lying about it is to harm an innocent person for the sake of evil. So, it's pretty much exactly like a rape charge.

This strikes me as something they simply didn't have and it was irresponsible for Comey to throw out "gross negligence." It sounds like something he thought it might be in layman's terms, but not having any vital legal meaning.

My guess is that they had a team of lawyers look at this from top to bottom and could only could conclude that they didn't have what it took to even make an accusation of criminal wrongdoing. It sounds like they really, really wanted to, but just didn't have it.

I am no expert on the technicalities of laws surrounding the mishandling of classified information, so I will yield to the judgement of those who are.

Certainly rape and negligence when handling classified materials are very different crimes, but they are both similarly hard to prove.

Certainly rape and negligence when handling classified materials are very different crimes, but they are both similarly hard to prove.

So is negligence when handling classified materials and jaywalking. Jaywalking doesn't have the emotional oomph of comparing someone to a rapist, though.

However, do you know who else jaywalked? The Nazis. They didn't cross European roads at designated intersections, but just went wherever they wanted ... and then murdered Jews when they got there. :mad:

So is negligence when handling classified materials and jaywalking. Jaywalking doesn't have the emotional oomph of comparing someone to a rapist, though.

As far as I know, jaywalking is not difficult to prosecute, so I'm not sure what point you are making.

As far as I know, jaywalking is not difficult to prosecute, so I'm not sure what point you are making.

It was more a reference to the seriousness of Clinton's offense and pointing out how dumb comparing it to rape is. Comparing it to rape but then turning around and saying "Oh, but I didn't want to give any impressions that it was anything like rape. If people drew that conclusion on their own after I did nothing more than use them in the same sentence together, that's a problem with how they're listening to me, not a problem with what I was saying" is something worthy of a Fox News host, but not something worthy of an intelligent conversation.

It was more a reference to the seriousness of Clinton's offense and pointing out how dumb comparing it to rape is. Comparing it to rape but then turning around and saying "Oh, but I didn't want to give any impressions that it was anything like rape. If people drew that conclusion on their own after I did nothing more than use them in the same sentence together, that's a problem with how they're listening to me, not a problem with what I was saying" is something worthy of a Fox News host, but not something worthy of an intelligent conversation.

I was explicitly comparing how difficult it is to prosecute those crimes and investigate the claims. I'm sorry but people who cannot handle straightforward analogies are not my problem. The only thing that would be dumb would be people drawing that conclusion, your tepid attempt at comparing me to a Fox News host notwithstanding.

Also, her email server was dressed like a slut, so it was totally asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom