• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the mind material or non-material?

Is the mind a material activity of a brain?

• The mind a material activity of a brain.

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • The mind is not a material activity of a brain, a mind is non-material.

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
I always thought Pinocchio was a horror story to put phallic imagery into the minds of children, making them associate sex with guilt. I think he is very real because we are talking about him now. He has influenced a LOT of kids. The face of evil in a lie fueled phallic tantrum lives. Don't discount his "creator" either. Just a bad thing to read to kids if you want to lessen the odds they will kill someday.

But what is actually real? The concept and story of 'Pinocchio' is certainly real, but the actual existence of an animated talking/lying puppet is more than likely not real.

Be careful what you are really betting on.

The odds of a Pinnochio puppet lying somewhere in the known universe are actually pretty good.

I couldn't possibly bet on that, though, because I don't have the spacecraft to scour the universe. But even on the Earth, the probability must be close to 1. :sadyes:
EB

Yeah, for sure. That rascal Pinocchio with his neural activity and his penchant for fibs and growing a longer nose.

The Neural Correlates of Consciousness

''The Neural Correlates of Consciousness (NCC) can be defined as the minimal neuronal mechanisms jointly sufficient for any one specific conscious percept (Crick & Koch 1990).''

''Progress in addressing the mind-body problem has come from focusing on empirically accessible questions rather than on eristic philosophical arguments. Key is the search for the neuronal correlates - and ultimately the causes - of consciousness.''

''The question of interest is which of its subcomponents are essential to produce a conscious experience (Fig.1). For instance, it is likely that neural activity in the cerebellum does not underlie any conscious perception, and thus is not part of the Neural Correlates of Consciousness. That is, trains of spikes in Purkinje cells (or their absence) will not induce a sensory percept although they may ultimately affect some behaviors (such as eye movements).''

''Every phenomenal, subjective state will have associated Neural Correlates of Consciousness: one for seeing a red patch, another one for seeing grandmother, yet a third one for hearing a siren, etc. Perturbing or inactivating the Neural Correlates of Consciousness for any one specific conscious experience will affect the percept or cause it to disappear. If the Neural Correlates of Consciousness could be induced artificially, for instance by cortical microstimulation in a prosthetic device or during neurosurgery, the subject would experience the associated percept. ''

Back
Top Bottom