• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jesus -- What's In A Name

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Christians use the he Jesus Christ as if it were a regular name.

Jesus Christ is the designation of Jesus of Nazareth (d. c. 30 CE), who was an itinerant Jewish prophet from the Galilee in northern Israel. He preached the imminent intervention in human affairs by the God of the Jews, when God would establish his kingdom on earth. The proper name Jesus was Greek for the Hebrew Joshua ("he who saves"). 'Christ' (Greek: Christos) was translated from the Hebrew meshiach (messiah). 'Messiah' meant "anointed one" where anointing was part of the coronation ritual by God for Jewish kings. "Jesus the Christ" became shortened over time to Jesus Christ, beginning with the letters of Paul in the 50s and 60s of the 1st century CE. A popular title became his designation as the "son of God", both in function and nature.

The reference to Paul shows how easy it was for individuals to add interpretations and personal views to the narrative, to the point where the original story is lost.

A typical Jew in Jesus' time had only one name, sometimes followed by the phrase "son of [father's name]", or the individual's hometown.[46] Thus, in the New Testament, Jesus is commonly referred to as "Jesus of Nazareth".[m][47][48] Jesus' neighbors in Nazareth refer to him as "the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon",[49][50] "the carpenter's son",[51][52] or "Joseph's son".[53][54] In the Gospel of John, the disciple Philip refers to him as "Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth".[55][56]

The English name Jesus is derived from the Latin Iesus, itself a transliteration of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs).[57] The Greek form is probably a rendering of the Hebrew and Aramaic name ישוע (Yēšūaʿ), a shorter variant of the earlier Hebrew name יהושע (Yəhōšūaʿ, English: "Joshua").[58] The name Yəhōšūaʿ likely means "Yah saves".[59] This was also the name of Moses's successor[60] and of a Jewish high priest in the Hebrew Bible,[61] both of whom are represented in the Septuagint (a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) as Iēsoûs.[62] The name Yeshua appears to have been in use in Judea at the time of the birth of Jesus.[63] The 1st-century works of historian Flavius Josephus, who wrote in Koine Greek, the same language as that of the New Testament,[64] refer to at least twenty different people with the name Jesus (i.e. Ἰησοῦς).[65] The etymology of Jesus' name in the context of the New Testament is generally given as "Yahweh is salvation".[66]

Since the early period of Christianity, Christians have commonly referred to Jesus as "Jesus Christ".[67] "Jesus Christ" is the name that the author of the Gospel of John claims Jesus gave to himself during his high priestly prayer.[68] The word Christ was a title or office ("the Christ"), not a given name.[69][70] It derives from the Greek Χριστός (Christos),[57][71] a translation of the Hebrew mashiakh (משיח) meaning "anointed", and is usually transliterated into English as "messiah".[72][73] In biblical Judaism, sacred oil was used to anoint certain exceptionally holy people and objects as part of their religious investiture.[74]

Christians of the time designated Jesus as "the Christ" because they believed him to be the messiah, whose arrival is prophesied in the Hebrew Bible and Old Testament. In postbiblical usage, Christ became viewed as a name — one part of "Jesus Christ". Etymons of the term Christian (meaning a follower of Christ) have been in use since the 1st century.[75]

Is there a topic?

Anyway, in works of fiction it is common for characters to take on names that fit their role in the story. In the case of Jesus, for example, his role in his story is that of a savior. His name meaning "he who saves" fits that role. In this way, the story of Jesus resembles fiction.

Is there a topic?

Anyway, in works of fiction it is common for characters to take on names that fit their role in the story. In the case of Jesus, for example, his role in his story is that of a savior. His name meaning "he who saves" fits that role. In this way, the story of Jesus resembles fiction.
Really? I must have been sleeping duirng high school lit class when they taught that.

Is there a topic?

Really? I must have been sleeping duirng high school lit class when they taught that.
I know you're being facetious, but you may well have been sleeping during your literature class if you are unaware of this common literary technique. A good example of a work of fiction that uses descriptive names for its characters is The Scarlet Letter. In that work the villain's name is "Roger Chillingworth" who puts a "chill" into people. As for the story of Jesus, Richard Carrier explains that other characters in the Gospel story aside from Jesus also have names describing their roles including Martha ("woman of the house") and Barabbas ("son of the father").

So Steve, when you're ready to take your own post seriously, get back to me.

I am humbled. Bless me master.

You lost me. Why start a thread about the name of Jesus only to get snarky when I explain why he has that name? Were you hoping for some information that wasn't so upsetting for you?
Your response was snarky. I was not being facetious, I was having fun at your expense.

Do you have anything to contribute?

The name JesusChrist is a Greek expresion which agin pounts to the Greek influence in the gospels. As I have said before, the gospel supernatural Jesus fits the typical image of a Greek demigod.

In the day there is an ifernce of being anoited as king of Israel.

You lost me. Why start a thread about the name of Jesus only to get snarky when I explain why he has that name? Were you hoping for some information that wasn't so upsetting for you?
Your response was snarky. I was not being facetious, I was having fun at your expense.

Do you have anything to contribute?

The name JesusChrist is a Greek expresion which agin pounts to the Greek influence in the gospels. As I have said before, the gospel supernatural Jesus fits the typical image of a Greek demigod.

In the day there is an ifernce of being anoited as king of Israel.
Nha, Steevv, Ill thinc Il passs onn yorr tallk bout Geezuz nmae ..

Back
Top Bottom