• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Let's break the anti-communist taboo

Anarchist philosophy is not intended for dealing with the "population at large." The point of it being "anarchist" is that you take part if you choose to, but you are also being taught that you always really had the liberty to choose if you had wanted to. Anarchism is based at least partly on calling into question the validity of power structures that you have accepted, yourself, as part of the status quo.

Then you can't have an anarchist society.

I suspect that I could translate your language to "anarchist utopia." There can really never be no such thing. If people are really given a free choice, they may choose many different lifestyles. The concept of anarchy is based on attacking existing authoritarian structures, not on creating a new one.

Some anarchists question the validity of property, and they see property as a type of power structure. I have a nuanced view on that, and I will not get into it with you.

In other words, another version of eat the rich.

I said that my view was nuanced. I see property in less absolute terms than either traditional schools of thought. While the concept of property can be useful for influencing human behavior to effect specific outcomes, it is nevertheless an abstract idea. Treating the concept as if it were absolute and incapable of being amended constitutes hypostatization.

It's like looking at bra-wearers and concluding that the human species is overwhelmingly female.
I don't wear bras. I think they are idiotic except in cases of severe giganticomastia.
Logic error: p -> q doesn't mean q -> p.

Saying those who wear bras are overwhelmingly female says nothing about how many females wear bras. Simple counterexample: Those who wear burqas are overwhelmingly female, but most females do not wear burqas.
The price of tea in China really has gone higher, in recent years, yes.

Back
Top Bottom