• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Lobster Used To Be Cheap — Here's How That Changed

Most "rich people" food is disappointing. I remember the first time I tasted caviar, oysters, pate, etc. Each time, I was like, "All the hype for this?". Honestly, I would rather have had a bag of cheetos. I would not make a good "one percenter".

Most "rich people" food is disappointing. I remember the first time I tasted caviar, oysters, pate, etc. Each time, I was like, "All the hype for this?". Honestly, I would rather have had a bag of cheetos. I would not make a good "one percenter".
Oysters? I never thought of oysters as "rich people" food. But then I live on the coast so oysters are just some of the readily available seafood we gather from the river banks to add to the meal when camping. I was never a big fan of raw oysters but roasted over a campfire, they are great.

Pate isn't really rich people food. It's just French. Neither are oysters, really, if they are local.

Yeah, maybe oysters aren't all that fancy afterall. I just remember Mr and Mrs Howell on Gilligan's Island used to talk about eating oysters back home, so maybe that's why I associated them as "rich people food".

This^. At least with regard to caviar, oysters, and the various pates that are supposed to so awesome--foie gras anyone? Yuck. How the hell did caviar ever come to be considered a delicacy?

However, the best meal I ever had was lobster thermador (sp?). I love lobster and that meal was the only one I've ever had that made me swoon like my ex-wife used to when she'd eat anything that just above average.

Pate isn't really rich people food. It's just French. Neither are oysters, really, if they are local.

It depends on the kind of pate.

As for oysters, and maybe it's different in different places, but I've always been under the impression that one is supposed to possess a more sophisticated palate in order to appreciate them. To me they've always tasted like cold horse jizz that's been stored inside of a flounder for a week.

It isn't even all that French. Pate is common throughout Europe, and definitely not something that's considered particularly fancy or rich. It's a popular thing to put on one's bread.

Ironically, given the American claim of it as being French; there's a kind of pate popular in France and the Low Countries which is called Filet Americaine.

Oysters used to be a cheap food of the poor too in Europe until disease all but wiped out the native beds.

In New Orleans, the "Po'boy sandwich" (from Poor Boy), is fried oysters on bread. It was what was cheap - just pick them up off the floor.
I visited Hawaii a few years ago and learned something interesting.. after the holocaust, there was a huge influx of Jews to the Hawaiian islands. You can find hundreds of old black and white photographs hanging up in all kinds of establishments depicting groups of people posing for the picture, holding up pineapples. Asking, "what's with all the pineapple poses", I was told that in Europe, pineapples were a rare and very expensive delicacy. When the Jews arrived in Hawaii and saw them growing wild all over the place, it was a fad to send pictures back to their friends and families in Europe, showing off the lavish riches of America.

This^. At least with regard to caviar, oysters, and the various pates that are supposed to so awesome--foie gras anyone? Yuck. How the hell did caviar ever come to be considered a delicacy?

However, the best meal I ever had was lobster thermador (sp?). I love lobster and that meal was the only one I've ever had that made me swoon like my ex-wife used to when she'd eat anything that just above average.

All I can say is, "your not doing it right". GOOD caviar is in a class by itself, with respect to taste. It is unlike anything else. If you taste caviar and all you get is "salty and fishy", then it is the crap caviar you can find on a shelf in a grocery store. Good caviar is not that easy to find, and costs a small fortune. Best deal I got on the 1%'s caviar was $80 for an oz. (about 4 - 6 bites). The awesome flavor is neither salty, nor fishy... it is just something else indescribably delicious.

Oysters... maybe my favorite 'finger food'. Also should not taste fishy or salty. Blue Point oysters from Long Island are world-class.. and Gulf oysters are wonderful too. Strong mineral / zink flavor, with subtle sweetness. It is one of those flavors that shoot up to your eyeballs.. or maybe that's the horseradish and tobasco sause I lightly adorn them with. Never squeeze that wedge of lemon on them - that is just stupid. The lemon is for cleaning your fingers.

Pate is just chopped liver... but smoother and fattier. I'm not terribly impressed.. and growing up in a jewish culture influenced home, I have a taste for chopped liver, but never thought it was anything special.

foie gras - the politically incorrect food. Literally means "Fat Goose", in French. A goose is force fed, tied down, and made to grow fat and get cirrhosis of the liver. The diseased liver is harvested and made into the richest, fattiest liver pate possible. The idea is disgusting to me. The taste of it is nothing unexpected... it tastes like lard and liver. Not my thing. Eating it straight is like eating a stick of butter dipped in gravy. It has it's place (like as a condiment), but eating it like an appetizer is a little gross, in my opinion.

foie gras - the politically incorrect food. Literally means "Fat Goose", in French. A goose is force fed, tied down, and made to grow fat and get cirrhosis of the liver. The diseased liver is harvested and made into the richest, fattiest liver pate possible. The idea is disgusting to me. The taste of it is nothing unexpected... it tastes like lard and liver. Not my thing. Eating it straight is like eating a stick of butter dipped in gravy. It has it's place (like as a condiment), but eating it like an appetizer is a little gross, in my opinion.
I kind of thought it tasted a bit like corn chips , it was probably a result of all the corn the goose was force fed

Back
Top Bottom