• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Looks like there might be another dog statue :(

Why don't they rest the dogs who do this work?

Dead dogs can't find survivors.

I'm very torn about using dogs for police and military work, attacking perps and sniffing for explosives. These dogs have no concept of the risks to their lives.

Why don't they rest the dogs who do this work?

Severe time constraints and not enough available rescuers would be my guess. Take a break and people might die before you can find them.

Well, what's happening to the survivors now that the dog is dead?

Working a dog to death won't help the survivors still waiting to be found there and at future disasters.

These are expensive, specially trained dogs. They don't grow on trees and to treat them like they're disposable is appalling.

Severe time constraints and not enough available rescuers would be my guess. Take a break and people might die before you can find them.

Working a dog to death won't help the survivors still waiting to be found there and at future disasters.

These are expensive, specially trained dogs. They don't grow on trees and to treat them like they're disposable is appalling.
It is the urgency of the moment that determines the decisions. That and how the decision maker values a human life vs. a dog's life. If the rescuers could smell the locations of those trapped then they likely wouldn't overwork the dog.

A building collapse and those trapped inside is an immediate concern. A possible future building collapse isn't a factor in such decisions.

So it really boils down to knowing there are people who are trapped in the collapsed building that will certainly die if not dug out soon weighed against concern for the dog. Sorta like people will dive into a rushing river to save a child even though it is a real risk to their own life.

ETA:
Come to think of it, I have dived into a river to save a dog. But then I didn't really think there was a great risk to my life.

Dead dogs can't find survivors.

I'm very torn about using dogs for police and military work, attacking perps and sniffing for explosives. These dogs have no concept of the risks to their lives.

Now, any survivors have either been rescued or they're dead. No one is treating the dogs like they're disposable and no one wanted this dog to die. The time-window to find people buried in a building collapse is a few days, at best, and building collapses don't happen that often. When one does happen, rescuers, human and otherwise, often work continuously for as long as they can. Given that this particular dog had found 7 people in the preceding two days and any survivors had very little time remaining, you literally have to make the decision - push the dog for a few more hours and take a chance that the dog dies from overwork vs rest the dog for a few hours and take the chance that a survivor dies because they aren't reached in time.

Now, any survivors have either been rescued or they're dead. No one is treating the dogs like they're disposable and no one wanted this dog to die. The time-window to find people buried in a building collapse is a few days, at best, and building collapses don't happen that often. When one does happen, rescuers, human and otherwise, often work continuously for as long as they can. Given that this particular dog had found 7 people in the preceding two days and any survivors had very little time remaining, you literally have to make the decision - push the dog for a few more hours and take a chance that the dog dies from overwork vs rest the dog for a few hours and take the chance that a survivor dies because they aren't reached in time.

I'd still choose the dog. If it's that late, chances are really good he's not going to find anyone alive anyway. But he'll still be of use for the next disaster

Back
Top Bottom