• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Love the Song, Hate the Musician

Janice Rael

Maybe it's literal, maybe hyperbole.™
Basic Beliefs
I believe I need to ask more people
Music thread: haha, riffing on a particular concept, with a statement that could be said, if need be, let's Love (or like in some way) the (a) Song (or album), but Hate (or dislike; not be a fan of) the Musician/Band (or performer, or original/cover; etc). WHY or WHY NOT? Let's have your reasons and rationale.

I want everyone's views on "Imagine" by John Lennon - plus the rest of his work.

But first let's rock out with our socks out. I absolutely adore the first hit by 1990s alt rockers Smashing Pumpkins' original (?) lineup, "Cherub Rock." The guitar, especially. But Billy Corgan is a POS, and I hated (loathed and still hate) EVERY other song by Smashing Pumpkins. I hated his music before I hated him.

Oasis is or was a popular British band made up of two Brothers Gallagher, Liam and Noel. Whichever of them sings, I don't know (it's Noel), but I hate their voices (Noel's whiny rasp) and songs. I never liked "Wonderwall" until I was in my car and heard a cover of it done by a woman with a guitar. ooh that rhymes. Anyway, I know that Oasis writes good songs. Their talent is not in dispute at all. My thing with Noel's voice is subjective. I'm aware of the higher level of lyricism in Oasis songs, but they sound terrible to me.

Most folks disliked Oasis' 2000 song "Go Let It Out" due to its intentional Beatles-esque calliope sound. The song is a mini Sgt Pepper's. The lyrics especially impress me:

Is it any wonder why princes and kings
Are clowns that caper in their sawdust rings?
Ordinary people that are like you and me?
We're the keepers of their destiny
We're the keepers of their destiny

Yeah, we sure are.

Guns N Roses

Made some great rock songs. But I can't stand Axl Rose. All I can think of when I see him is every trouble maker I've run across in bars.

I found out not only is he a jerk IRL, he screwed over the rest of the band. They were zoned out on drugs and Axl got them to sign the royalty rights over to him.

As someone who was "music industry adjacent" for most of my career, I have...thoughts.

The first one that comes to mind is R. Kelly. I went out to lunch a couple few times with the regional rep from his label, and even back in the 90s there was some questions about his behavior (like accusations that he'd married 16 year old Aaliyah) but the rep was like "well...that's just Robert."

I'm not going to link it here, but honestly, "I Believe I Can Fly" is a helluva record. Absolutely horrible person who made a beautiful song. Pretty cut and dried.

The one that really bothers me is a bit more complicated. Just about 10 years ago I had a nice, long conversation with Peter Yarrow of the folk group Peter, Paul, and Mary. Of "Puff the Magic Dragon" fame. Played the March on Washington. Knew MLK Jr., was friends with Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and told me "I think we're really brothers of the spirit, man."

Then I found out about his past conviction for "taking indecent liberties" with a 14 year old girl in 1970. And the lawsuit filed against him accusing him of raping an underage girl a year prior. He pleaded guilty to the former (and was pardoned by Jimmy Carter in 1981) but still...

As someone who was "music industry adjacent" for most of my career, I have...thoughts.

The first one that comes to mind is R. Kelly. I went out to lunch a couple few times with the regional rep from his label, and even back in the 90s there was some questions about his behavior (like accusations that he'd married 16 year old Aaliyah) but the rep was like "well...that's just Robert."

I'm not going to link it here, but honestly, "I Believe I Can Fly" is a helluva record. Absolutely horrible person who made a beautiful song. Pretty cut and dried.

The one that really bothers me is a bit more complicated. Just about 10 years ago I had a nice, long conversation with Peter Yarrow of the folk group Peter, Paul, and Mary. Of "Puff the Magic Dragon" fame. Played the March on Washington. Knew MLK Jr., was friends with Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and told me "I think we're really brothers of the spirit, man."

Then I found out about his past conviction for "taking indecent liberties" with a 14 year old girl in 1970. And the lawsuit filed against him accusing him of raping an underage girl a year prior. He pleaded guilty to the former (and was pardoned by Jimmy Carter in 1981) but still...
That's super fucked up. Shit, my parents introduced me to puff the magic dragon years after that happened...

"I believe I can fly" was pretty great.

Both artists can go fuck a beehive.

Back
Top Bottom