• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

More and More Americans Think Astrology Is Science

So, the interesting thing is that weak to moderate Christians are actually MORE LIKELY than strong Christians to believe in things like astrology or alien visitations.
Most serious Christians view those things as a competing religion and at odds with a Biblical worldview. But those "Christians" who don't really know or care what their own faith says, are more willing to tack such new age notions onto their vague "spirituality".

Thus, an increase in such new age beliefs could actually reflect a decrease in strongly held traditional religious beliefs and switching one set of nonsense for another, rather than a general increase in irrational beliefs.

I can see at least some of the responses might be confusion of astrology for astronomy.

This is likely, but it would mostly account for generally high levels of acceptance and wouldn't really explain increases in acceptance.

Really? Believing in astrology can be "psycholigically useful"? Explain yourself.
I already did. When facing a difficult decision astrology - as well as I Ching, and probably Tarot, although I know less about Tarot - can bring one in touch with his subconscious mind.
By reading something to tell them what to think? That isn't getting in touch with the subconscious mind... it is grabbing at straws.

So, the interesting thing is that weak to moderate Christians are actually MORE LIKELY than strong Christians to believe in things like astrology or alien visitations.
Well, yeah. Like my first LPO might have said (and some of this is direct quote):

I bleeve the world is fulla magic and mysteries and I don't pay that much attention to when Pat Robertson tells me there ain't no aleeyuns.
I know the Bibul says the stars are for signs and portents and that sounds like astrology to me. The three astrologers followed a star to find Jesus when he was born.
An if god ain't moving the stars around for his own purpose, then explain the Southern Cross, smart guy!

- - - Updated - - -

By reading something to tell them what to think?
What divination system(s?) tell people what to think?
The best you can get out of tarot or horoscopes is a subject to start thinking about....

Back
Top Bottom