• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nationalization of women

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
"Nationalization of women" was one of the horrible things that the early Soviet Union had allegedly done. It's difficult for me to find out much about that claim, but I have found  Overman Committee I'll quote from that article.
A third frequent theme was the "free love" and "nationalization" of women allegedly occurring in Soviet Russia.[44] Witnesses described an orgy in which there was no "respect for virtuous women";[45] others who testified, including those who had been in Russia during the Revolution,[45] denied this.[46] After one witness read a Soviet decree saying that Russian women had the "right to choose from among men",[47] Senator Sterling threw up his hands and declared that this was a negation of "free love".[46] However, another decree was produced stating, "A girl having reached her eighteenth year is to be announced as the property of the state."[48]

... The Senators heard various views of women in Russia, including claims that women were made the property of the state.[51]
There is other fun stuff in that article, like how most Bolsheviks were supposedly Jews.

I've also found this:
San Pedro News Pilot 21 December 1920 — California Digital Newspaper Collection
This was the reason, said Vandorllp, for the stories of the “nationalization of women,” famine, riot and revolution. “The proclamations concerning the ‘nationalization of women' were a prank of college students- In a town on the Volga and were understood as a Joke," said Vanderlip. "When Russian people told an American correspondent the proclamation was a Joke he said 'Maybe it (u; but it’s the best story I’m going to take out of Russia.’

Back
Top Bottom