• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

objective morality

In the case of reduced resources the means for making bad harder are assurance of more certain punishment within the frame with which I'm currently working. Scarce resources pressure any fixed setting around a given in situ code so being good from sufficient resources to scarce resources becomes harder. Parameters are adjusted to reestablish as functioning balance where violence continues to be reduced, although more slowly due to competitive headwinds, if information and communication continue to expand sharing of data and refinement of laws.

I'm getting pretty close to blowing in the wind here. However I found it to be a rewarding exercise.

You have been blowing in the wind from the beginning.

What does this mean: "Scarce resources pressure any fixed setting around a given in situ code so being good from sufficient resources to scarce resources becomes harder."

How do we assure bad becomes harder when it is in a person's best interest to be bad? If I hoard food or steal food in order to feed my family, are you willing to use violence to recover it? You are left with a moral code which demands starvation of the group be met by killing people until the food supply matches the population. Sounds good, doesn't it?

If you hoard or steal food you are in technical violation of some code. Whether you get punished for that violation depends on your situation, the place you live and the conditions at the time you committed the violation. Its one of the nice, terrible, things about how we humans construct and implement our codes that these factors weigh on whether and how one should be sanctioned.

It doesn't sound good, but, it rings true. All I would modify is any requirement to kill until supplies match population. Its gonna be pretty hard to calculate this given individual human capacities to go without food. To set such a hard boundary pretty much reverts to existing lock step codes.

The real gain of my approach in my view is that I recognize it is possible to keep gains made and to make more progress in spite of any adverse situation because we do communicate and collect data and human culture seems to slowly reflect this.

For instance hard times may force greater communication among more diverse groups, perhaps even resulting in cooperation. Perhaps a African woman takes a European child by the shoulder while walking her to her room in Asia to instruct her in the benefits of metabolic conservation (not fighting) in the presence of low caloric availability. A gain in violence reduction across major ethnic groups. Oh no. There is evidence for such gains and trades in early agricultural societies who sacrificed a meat diet and size for the benefits collective activity and shared resources.

Back
Top Bottom