• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

PC Sound Recorder

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
I'm looking for a program that can record internet audio. I want one that works kind of like an old vcr. You set the start time, end time and the channel (URL). I've tried a couple and one, Audacity, which is overly complicated for my purposes and requires the website to be manually opened in a browser. The other used the microphone input sound for the recording and sounded like crap. I had a program about ten years ago that did this real well but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Any suggestions?

For a set-and-forget solution that's available on any OS, you can try VLC. It can record streaming internet audio and/or video to file.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

You could write shell scripts (batch files) to start and stop VLC without opening any GUI, and write the output directly to file instead of playing it. The scripts would need to be triggered using the operating system's scheduler/cron, as VLC doesn't have that functionality.

Your old software was probably something like StreamBox VCR, which is now illegal in the US and hasn't been updated to support modern formats.

Back
Top Bottom