• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pedophile priests succeed

Religion is just another business. I did not know that churches had this kind of coverage. No wonder so many parishes in my area are kaput.

The small church a block west of me hasn't been used in years and I think it is for sale.

Religion is just another business. I did not know that churches had this kind of coverage. No wonder so many parishes in my area are kaput.
There was a book called The Religion Business by Alfred Balk published back in the late 1960's. He investigated how churches get money and it was quite surprising. Of course they get money through Sunday contributions and tithes. But lots of times the better off members will sometimes leave stocks and bonds and sometimes even whole businesses to the churches they went to in their wills. This explains partially why a church with 30 active members can still stay open that can sit several hundred in their church house and be a million dollar building. I think it also explains why churches usually are very to the right politically speaking. Being probusiness is very much literally lining the church coffer.

The book is a very small tome but stock full of figures and information. The dollar amounts are from the 1950's and 1960's but I am sure churches are doing today what was done back then that the author is warning the public about.

You can read it through Archive.org. For your convenience to anyone willing to look at it here is a link:

https://archive.org/details/religionbusiness00balk/page/n5/mode/2up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom