• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pennsylvania Teenager Simulates Oral Sex With Jesus Statue, Faces 2 Years in Prison

This was ruled unconstitutional a long time ago. This is the same statute that involved flag burning. Hopefully a prosecutor will realize that and drop it.

It's not so much a religious right as it is free speech. If you can desecrate a flag you can desecrate a figure of Jesus.

SLD

They should be charging Jesus for statuetory rape.

a 1972 Pennsylvania statute that criminalizes "defacing, damaging, polluting or otherwise physically mistreating in a way that the actor knows will outrage the sensibilities of persons likely to observe or discover the action."
Sadly, this will be on the books until someone in Penn gets prosecuted for defacing a statue to Satan, publishing a cartoon of Mohammed, or maybe drawing a mustache on a Justin Bieber poster....

a 1972 Pennsylvania statute that criminalizes "defacing, damaging, polluting or otherwise physically mistreating in a way that the actor knows will outrage the sensibilities of persons likely to observe or discover the action."
Sadly, this will be on the books until someone in Penn gets prosecuted for defacing a statue to Satan, publishing a cartoon of Mohammed, or maybe drawing a mustache on a Justin Bieber poster....

Truth be told, in those cases I'd assume that they wouldn't pursue prosecution so nothing would actually change. This kid has the ability to make a difference by bringing this to trial, and I'd hope someone from say the ACLU reaches out to him, but I'd wager that he most likely accepts a plea bargain.

My sensibilities are outraged by morons every fucking day, but that doesn't mean I think they should go to prison for it.

Oy vey.

My sensibilities are outraged by morons every fucking day, but that doesn't mean I think they should go to prison for it.

Oy vey.
But your outrage doesn't matter.
The way the law is written, it's the burden of the actor to know that someone, somewhere, could possibly take offense at the act, and then actually give a shit about the others' outragification.

In a secular society it's not the place of law to legislate propriety, offensive behavior or 'ickyness'.

Oy vey.
But your outrage doesn't matter.
The way the law is written, it's the burden of the actor to know that someone, somewhere, could possibly take offense at the act, and then actually give a shit about the others' outragification.

Even worse, the object has to be "venerated". So, even if it patently clear that some people are in fact offended, the prosecutors get to arbitrary decide to prosecute based upon their subjective feelings of whether the object is "venerated". Which of course means when the object is Christian.

In a secular society it's not the place of law to legislate propriety, offensive behavior or 'ickyness'.
The problem in the US remains that so many legislators do not consider this nation to be a secular society. Therefor giving special treatment to religious artifacts reflecting those legislators' abidance to their own religion(Christianity). Therefor pursuing to establish anti blasphemy laws to protect illustrations and imagery representative of their religion. While they will parrot the nonsense of this nation being founded on Christianity.

I am hoping the ACLU will intervene in this case. No damages occurred to the structure of that statue. Those criminal charges are solely motivated by people being offended. And as usual, to establish that a crime occurred, there must be a victim.

Back
Top Bottom