• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Philosophy of News

News is what is published near in time to event being reported. Obviously the reliability and validity of what is reported changes over time as more information becomes available and as more perspective is applied to it. It is ultimately the job of the receiver to make sense of it relative to herself. News gatherers, presenters have no responsibility beyond what seems to work in whatever culture their function is embedded. There is no ultimate inherent responsibility for those publishing and shaping what is reported.

News freedom has effects on what a society does in terms of relations with others which seem to be more inclusive overall. Polarized, controlled news both assists conformity and divides us from them. Those outcomes are contradictions in social behavior, but, that seems to be the case.

That job of the news target who is usually someone impacted at some level by the information is to understand the content for what it is and to make use of what is received relative her existence.

Certainly the job of the socially inclusive tending consumer in a controlled news market is tested by the news in terms of getting through life.

To suggest otherwise is irresponsible.

Just another day is some decision algorithm's paradise.

As one trained in the news business I emphasized clear verified representation of what I gather and report. What you get of my biases are those mostly shaped by my training as a report, just as it is when you read one of my scientific papers of my biases shaped as an experimentalist. Since there are authorities guiding my work in both domains I subscribe and am subject to creeds from both areas that are mainstream for each discipline. You need know no more than that unless you want to be one or the other.

If the consumer of my science and reporting can't handle the news without applying some aid for her to process I suggest more education and practice or more attention to what are her responsibilities.

Otherwise go ahead and believe that Obama is, uh, a Muslim.

Last edited:
I'm also too lazy to wait 51 minutes for brilliance, but this post is relevant to some of the recent media conversations:
Greece news media taking sides in coverage of upcoming vote

Along with Skai TV, nearly all the mainstream press and television stations in Greece have skewed their coverage or are openly in favor of the "yes" campaign, throwing in doubt just how fair Sunday's election will be. The snap referendum has already come under criticism for being called with too little notice by the left-wing Greek government — which is urging a "no" vote — to allow for proper campaigning and educating of voters.

"There is no doubt that the coverage is overwhelmingly biased," said Niko

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-greece-media-20150703-story.html#page=1

and Kevin Drum writes:

I suppose it's no surprise that Greece's corporate class is deeply unthrilled by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras's leftist government, and would be happy to see him humiliated and tossed out of office. I assume that they also prefer the devil they know—grinding European-imposed austerity for years—to the devil they don't—exiting the euro amid chaos and eventually rebuilding their economy with a devalued drachma. After all, they'll stay rich either way, and sticking with their fellow European moguls probably seems the better bet by far.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/07/greek-media-really-really-wants-yes-vote-euro-bailout

News is what is published near in time to event being reported. Obviously the reliability and validity of what is reported changes over time as more information becomes available and as more perspective is applied to it. It is ultimately the job of the receiver to make sense of it relative to herself. News gatherers, presenters have no responsibility beyond what seems to work in whatever culture their function is embedded. There is no ultimate inherent responsibility for those publishing and shaping what is reported.

News freedom has effects on what a society does in terms of relations with others which seem to be more inclusive overall. Polarized, controlled news both assists conformity and divides us from them. Those outcomes are contradictions in social behavior, but, that seems to be the case.

That job of the news target who is usually someone impacted at some level by the information is to understand the content for what it is and to make use of what is received relative her existence.

Certainly the job of the socially inclusive tending consumer in a controlled news market is tested by the news in terms of getting through life.

To suggest otherwise is irresponsible.

Just another day is some decision algorithm's paradise.

As one trained in the news business I emphasized clear verified representation of what I gather and report. What you get of my biases are those mostly shaped by my training as a report, just as it is when you read one of my scientific papers of my biases shaped as an experimentalist. Since there are authorities guiding my work in both domains I subscribe and am subject to creeds from both areas that are mainstream for each discipline. You need know no more than that unless you want to be one or the other.

If the consumer of my science and reporting can't handle the news without applying some aid for her to process I suggest more education and practice or more attention to what are her responsibilities.

Otherwise go ahead and believe that Obama is, uh, a Muslim.

I think you´re missing his message. He´s not saying producers or consumers are evil or stupid. He´s saying that we have the news we have because it´s an inherent property of the system. If we want quality news we need to make an effort. Both the producers of news, and the consumers of news.

I mean, there´s no point, as a consumer, to educate oneself if all sources of news are horrendously biased. Nobody can have a balance view in a sea of only spin doctors.

But on your issue of truth, you can report truthfully in different ways and get two radically different receptions. Osama bin Laden and George Washington, both were freedom fighters as well as terrorists. Both of these statements are true. But it doesn´t really help the consumer understanding what is going on.

... He´s saying that we have the news we have because it´s an inherent property of the system. If we want quality news we need to make an effort. Both the producers of news, and the consumers of news.

I mean, there´s no point, as a consumer, to educate oneself if all sources of news are horrendously biased. Nobody can have a balance view in a sea of only spin doctors.

But on your issue of truth, you can report truthfully in different ways and get two radically different receptions. Osama bin Laden and George Washington, both were freedom fighters as well as terrorists. Both of these statements are true. But it doesn´t really help the consumer understanding what is going on.

I thought I was pretty clear on that. Its not the system that defines the news. Its within the social system and among the citizens that she finds elements with which to being truth to ground. Unless one educates oneself about what is the social system and about what one can expect news to cover one cannot 'consume' the news. The news system is individual more than anything else.

Lets take your examples. There are differences between Osama and George approaches and understanding of 'freedom' if one is interesting in effective situation parsing and contrasting news from 'pro', 'neutral', and 'anti' sources, for instance. Osama bases his concept of freedom as that of being a 'true' Islamist living within a certain view of Mohammad's teachings. George bases his concept of freedom as being a member of democracy where all are equal.

If the consumer is unaware of how news is handled in her culture she cannot possibly decode truth in content. News will be presented according to social constraints reflecting them. If one is satisfied with getting reinforced for what one has come to believe news only reflects one's views and expectations. It works to remind one of one's strongly held beliefs. If, on the other hand, she has interest in knowing what is going on she prepares to find out through whatever masking signals are contained in the culturally based news transmission. She will have a pretty good chance of figuring out what actually took place.

Whose responsibility is this? I say it is the consumer. We don't need to restructure news to account for social context.

Back
Top Bottom