• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Question For Accountants/Bookkeepers About Quickbooks

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
My wife is an accountant/bookkeeper for a retailer with several stores in the tri-city area. The min wage in MI went up to $8.50 on 1/1/16. She does the payroll in QuickBooks. She figures she'll have to go in the payroll for each individual employee to make the adjustment on a single employee basis but she wonders how this would be done for companies with hundreds/thousands of employees and thinks there should be a better way to do it. Making the problem even worse is that the change is right in the middle of the pay period.

She's asked this question on a QB forum and got two responses with two different answers. Anyone have any ideas on how this could be done more efficiently than having to go into each individual employee's profile one by one?

I use QB in my business, but I'm a sole proprietor, so no employees to deal with. I was going to tell you to use the QB forums, but I can see you've tried that. Just checked a couple of my QB handbooks, but came up empty handed. Be persistant with the QB forums...that's your best bet.

Might try saving a copy of the QB company file on another drive and experimenting with the different global wage change options you find on the QB forums and see what works before you make a huge company wide catastrophic mistake.

Good idea about copying the file to a different location to play with.

I use QuickBooks for my business too. I saw this thread, it might be the one your wife posted:

https://community.intuit.com/questions/1208731-can-i-do-a-minimum-wage-increase-for-a-group-of-employees-instead-of-each-one-individually

This looked like the best answer:
It depends on the specific payroll item, which is why I described it as: If you have a payroll item named for this one purpose, you should be able to Edit and update the rate on the Item, and QB asks if you want that updated everywhere it is in use.

But if you have a generic Hourly item for all rates, and not one specifically for Minimum, then, no.

It sounds like creating a payroll item would be the way to go to prepare for another rate increase.

That's not her that asked the question but it is the same question. Thanks, I'll show it to the wife.

Yup, she knew she had to create a new payroll item. Looks like the answer is still going in individually.

I remember when I was working in the finance department of the hospital system, payroll would spend enormous amounts of overtime making adjustments for 5000+ employees.

Back
Top Bottom