• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Red Summer -1919

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Red summer 1919, almost 100 years ago. A series of savage race riots in white black Americans were attacked en masse.
With the rise of White nationalism and racism in these Trump years, it is sobering to realize how bad that can get. Most young people of the US have no idea that this occurred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Summer

Red Summer was the late winter, spring, summer, and early autumn of 1919, which were marked by hundreds of deaths and a higher number of casualties across the United States, as the result of anti-black white supremacist terrorist attacks that occurred in more than three dozen cities and one rural county. In most instances, whites attacked African Americans. In some cases many black people fought back, notably in Chicago and Washington, D.C. The highest number of fatalities occurred in the rural area around Elaine, Arkansas, where an estimated 100–240 black people, and five white people, were killed; Chicago and Washington had 38 and 15 deaths, respectively, and many more injured, with extensive property damage in Chicago.

Fight the good fight.

There was a black upscale community in Illinois or Indian that was burned to the ground.

I live with a black who grew up in Jim Crow Louisiana.

He personally knew someone who was lynched for trying to get into a college. That is why he came to Seattle.

I saw some of it when I was in the Memphis area around 1970 in the military. A nearby park is named after a black activist shot in his yard in the 70s here in Seattle. Pratt Park.

Most whites have no clue how bad it was.

I grew up in Tulsa Oklahoma. In 1921 Tulsa had anti-black riots in which 35 square blocks of downtown Tulsa, the black part of downtown Tulsa were burned to the ground. Lots of young Americans have no idea these things happened in America.

Back
Top Bottom