• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Register to win the Xprize for carbon removal

RVonse

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
that people in the US are living in the matrx
The Musk Foundation is giving away $100 million in prizes for carbon removal ideas. $50 million first prize to the team who can come up with an economic engineering solution to remove carbon at scale. And there is no age limit.

https://www.xprize.org/prizes/elonmusk

https://youtu.be/BN88HPUm6j0

The opportunity to make yourself rich and greatly benefit humanity at the same time.

IMO POTUS Biden should also allow participation by teams from countries that are disallowed under the Xprize rules due to US political sanctions.

As an aside. Musk has to be my favorite billionaire by a wide margin. Most contemporary billionaires (like Gates and Buffet) will do their philanthropy towards the end of their lives knowing they won't be taking it with them anyway. And that is how history tells us Rockefeller and Carnegie did it too, which in the case of Carnegie always seemed odd to me. Carnegie gave so much at the end of life, yet in younger years fought labor in serious bitter disagreement over money to the point of grave violence. It was as though the man was a complete different person after he got much older.

Musk is doing this totally different though, giving to humanity right now while he is still young. I think it is so refreshing and out of the norm to see what Musk does versus what we normally expect and take for granted from wall street and the other billionaire banksters and hedge fund managers!

I think Musk has a very good chance to be remembered as a hero of humanity.

I invented something called rain forests. By not destroying them and reestablishing where they were, that'll help remove a decent amount of carbon from the atmosphere. And because they are in areas with lots of water, the tree life really takes care of itself.

I invented something called rain forests. By not destroying them and reestablishing where they were, that'll help remove a decent amount of carbon from the atmosphere. And because they are in areas with lots of water, the tree life really takes care of itself.

Not bad thinking on your part Jimmy! But how are you actually going to be able to pull this off? You have to demonstrate a plan with a projected carbon removal at $100/ton or less at scale. I am guessing that means to begin with you would need to calculate the purchase or rent all those rain forests from Brazil and then figure out how much carbon those trees are really worth. Maybe you will reach that goal and win $50 million for your idea.:)

Even if you did not win the prize I believe your effort would have merit. If for no other reason, by placing a known value on precious real estate and giving the government of Brazil notice to that effect.

Roll up your sleeves and get rich Jimmy.

The biggest problem I see here is simply this: carbon sequestration cannot be "economically viable". It is specifically the act of capturing carbon from highly stable formats, packing it together, and then not doing anything with it ever again.

It is guaranteed to cost a lot and create zero benefits.

To that end, the most scalable, economically feasible action is to create disposal points at regular positions geographically, and just farm tons and tons of weed, flowers get smoked, all the shake goes into a solar charcoal oven and then thrown, sterile and dead and compressed, into the hole.

If demand is too low for weed, shift it to hemp, and just bake out the water.

Is money going to be made off it? Probably minimal, if any. But it's the only solution* that captures enough carbon, gets it all into one place, and then removes it permanently.

People need to get beyond the idea that cleaning our house must only be done if it's done for a paycheck. Sometimes you spend Saturday cleaning the house, and all you get from it is a cleaned house and a lost Saturday.

*There may be others but they are equally just "cleaning the house"

I saw a documentary about a guy who invented a machine that could turn water into food. I don't see why it'd be impossible to use CO2 instead of H2O and have the same outcome.

The Musk Foundation is giving away $100 million in prizes for carbon removal ideas. $50 million first prize to the team who can come up with an economic engineering solution to remove carbon at scale. And there is no age limit.

https://www.xprize.org/prizes/elonmusk

https://youtu.be/BN88HPUm6j0

The opportunity to make yourself rich and greatly benefit humanity at the same time.

IMO POTUS Biden should also allow participation by teams from countries that are disallowed under the Xprize rules due to US political sanctions.

As an aside. Musk has to be my favorite billionaire by a wide margin. Most contemporary billionaires (like Gates and Buffet) will do their philanthropy towards the end of their lives knowing they won't be taking it with them anyway. And that is how history tells us Rockefeller and Carnegie did it too, which in the case of Carnegie always seemed odd to me. Carnegie gave so much at the end of life, yet in younger years fought labor in serious bitter disagreement over money to the point of grave violence. It was as though the man was a complete different person after he got much older.

Musk is doing this totally different though, giving to humanity right now while he is still young. I think it is so refreshing and out of the norm to see what Musk does versus what we normally expect and take for granted from wall street and the other billionaire banksters and hedge fund managers!

I think Musk has a very good chance to be remembered as a hero of humanity.

I love Musk. He wants to solve the problems that government has been incompetent to fix. Our main hope to reverse climate change is in the private sector. In a few years (hopefully longer) the republicans will take over again and we'll be right back to square one.

I saw a documentary about a guy who invented a machine that could turn water into food. I don't see why it'd be impossible to use CO2 instead of H2O and have the same outcome.

Because you can't eat that which MUST be disposed of for effect.

You cannot sequester carbon as a pile of logs and then burn the logs

Back
Top Bottom