• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Religion is in BIG trouble in Europe.

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
Europe - Christianity is in big trouble in Europe. The importance of religion among younger people is very low compared to the older generation. It is especially encouraging to see the very low numbers for Poland, Italy & Spain. The myth lasted for 2,000 years.

One problem I see with this is that only refers to the xtian cult. I'd like to see how it applies to the others, like the rabid islam.

tumblr_n3ya0gB6WQ1raw1oio1_500.png

No numbers on Islam, and those would be difficult to obtain, I'll wager. Nevertheless, there's hope in that area of the world. Yes even there where you can lose your life for being an atheist more are speaking out. Those that aren't directly speaking out are finding like minded souls on the Internet. With the adoption of the world wide web, there's simply too much access to information. Inroads are being made. Even Saudi Arabia, which never even acknowledged atheists now label us as terrorists. If that ain't progress what is?

phands, where did you find those numbers?

I decided to crunch them to see what I could learn about them. I normalized them by dividing them by the average of the numbers for the 30-49 and 50-64 cohorts, and I found some interesting trends. The 18-29 cohort was about 0.5 to 1 times the average, with France having 1.4 times the average. The 30-49 cohort had 0.8 to 1.1 of the average, and the 50-64 cohort 0.9 to 1.2 of the average -- not much variation. But the 65+ cohort was dramatically bigger. Its points clustered around 1.9, ranging from 1.7 to 2.2, with the extremes being the US at 1.2 and Lithuania at 3.7.

So going down in age, there is a big drop around 65 years old, with a slow decline afterward. From polls over the years, people in the US tend to be relatively fixed in their religiosity after about 18 to 20 years of age. If that fixity is also true of Europe, then we can ask what made a difference in the childhood and teens of those under 65. Anyone that age this year would have been 15 years old in 1964, and an obvious candidate is the great tumult in the late 1960's and early 1970's that several nations experienced. So did the Sixties cultural revolution decouple many people from organized religion, with their descendants staying decoupled?

This trend of elder religiosity also occurred in former Soviet-bloc countries, including the former Soviet Union itself. Despite Communism, many people there continued to take their opium.

Here's as far as I could track the OP's claim: Europe - Christianity is in big trouble in Europe. The importance of religion among younger people is very low compared to the older generation. It is especially encouraging to see the very low numbers for Poland, Italy & Spain. The myth lasted for 2,000 years but soon it will be gone.. : atheism -- a post in Reddit's r/atheism

ETA:

I looked further, and I found that table in Pew-Global-Attitudes-2009-Pulse-of-Europe-Report-Nov-2-1030am-NOT-EMBARGOED.pdf -- the Pew Global Attitudes Project of the Pew Research Center:

Two Decades After the Wall’s Fall
END OF COMMUNISM CHEERED BUT NOW WITH MORE RESERVATIONS
November 2, 2009

The table is in PDF page 87 out of 157.

Back
Top Bottom