• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Remind me, which party is trying to defund law enforcement?

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I thought it was the Dems who were being accused of defunding the police but now I'm confused. /s Read the entire article if you wish, as I'm sharing it. I appears as if the Recon party can't accomplish anything but try to show what assholes they are by sucking up to Trump and the far right, despite knowing that none of these idiotic bills will become reality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/26/...e_code=1.2k0.vnuz.IUQ8w5Tgc-BF&smid=url-share

House Republicans on Wednesday advanced legislation that would slash funding for the Department of Justice and U.S. attorneys’ offices across the country, the latest attempt by the G.O.P. to punish federal law enforcement agencies that they claim have been weaponized against conservatives, especially former President Donald J. Trump.
The spending bill, approved along party lines by a subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee, would cut funding for salaries and other expenses at the Justice Department by 20 percent, and for U.S. attorneys’ offices by 11 percent.
It comes as the Department of Justice is prosecuting two federal cases against the former president and presumptive 2024 Republican nominee, one related to his efforts to overturn the 2020 election and the other concerning his retention of classified materials.
It is also an early example of how House Republicans are again trying to inject the annual government spending bills with partisan policy mandates aimed at amplifying political grievances and culture war issues. A similar process played out last year, but the most conservative measures were ultimately jettisoned in bipartisan negotiations with Senate Democrats and the White House.

The policies being advanced this year are similarly dead on arrival. But in the interim, ahead of a September funding deadline and the November elections, House G.O.P. leaders are again loading the spending bills with hard-right measures in an effort to delight their ultraconservative core supporters and placate the most conservative members of their conference.

In the next few days, with lawmakers scheduled to consider spending bills to fund the Pentagon, State Department, and Department of Homeland Security, Republicans plan to force votes on proposals including reducing to $1 the salaries of Lloyd Austin, the secretary of defense, and Alejandro Mayorkas, the homeland security secretary, and cut off pay entirely for Antony Blinken, the secretary of state; cut funding for Mr. Mayorkas’s office by $10 million; and prohibit U.S. funding for Ukraine, including the use of taxpayer money to greenlight arms sales to Kyiv.

Already baked into the bills are a series of conservative social policy dictates, including measures that would bar the Pentagon from using any funds to promote critical race theory or to allow drag queen story hours on military bases, and would prohibit agencies from enforcing a slew of executive orders related to climate change issued by President Biden. The bills also prohibit agencies from allowing federal employees to take paid leave to obtain an abortion.

Some Republican lawmakers are seeking to go even further. Representative Matt Rosendale of Montana this week announced that he would try to add a provision to the military spending bill to strip money for in vitro fertilization treatment, which he said was “responsible for the destruction of life.”

Back
Top Bottom