• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Request for Assistance please from Tech Types

braces_for_impact

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Hi Guys,

As you may or may not be aware, I am subject to a reduction of force at my job (plainspeak: my job is going to India) and my last day is November 17th.

Now, as lousy as that sounds it has a potentially damn good silver lining; if I can pull this off. I qualify for a program that will get me A+, Network+ and Security+ certified. It's like a 29 week program, and the program covers the tuition cost, books and certification testing as well. I have the ability and interest to do this, the only rub is I have to pass the initial aptitude tests.

The First test is the TABE. It looks like a pretty standard adult educational test. I'm not really worried about this too much. I know I'll fly past the reading/comprehension and english part of the test, but the math may give me some minor trouble. I have some problems with fractions or advanced algebra. Still I expect little in the way of problems with that.

The second test she simply said was a "networking test". I've emailed for some additional clarification, but no word back yet. If it has a general PC use part, I think I'll be fine. I can build a PC, I can install windows and pc programs and troubleshoot problems. I can modify the registry and set up a home network without too much trouble (some googling may be required). I can do simple maintenance, such as clearing out temp files, cookies and defragging. I have basic to intermediate skill in Microsoft Office.

Does anyone have any recommendations on something to study for Networking? It has to be free, because I have a really low, low budget of ZERO. My test is next Thursday, I work full time (for now) and I have two kids so I'll pull some study time out of my arse. I figured someone here might know of something more than I can just google.

Thanks for the help!

ETA: She said it was an IT fundamentals test. At least I have a better idea of what to look for...

Last edited:
I have a CompTIA Security+ cert, only because someone decided every type of sysadmin had to have one of these things. Not sure of what your testing/training program is, but I would doubt it would be too different than the below link providing a general CompTIA background:
https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/network

I would imagine that this PDF would provide a decent review, which is focused for their test, if you don’t want to buy the book. I’m kind of old school, as I still prefer real books for in depth reading.
http://josuevillegas.com/books/CompTIA_Network+_StudyGuide.pdf

CompTIA also has a decent Security+ book, which probably is around someone as a free PDF…

PS Good luck on your new adventures. FWIW I've been chased out of 2 companies by Indian HCL (I call them hydrochloric acid) over the last decade. I was at least able to jump ship before the ax fell each time...

I don't know anything about those certifications, but before you start them, I'd do some thorough research on whether [your current qualifications] + [those certifications] will lead to decent job prospects, if you haven't done so already.

I'm always hesitant about certifications in IT being a silver bullet, because to do most IT roles effectively takes a lot of learning and experience, but therein lies the importance of the research you do on the cert and what it will lead to.

Anyway, I did some quick searching and pulled back this forum post that might be helpful:
Self Study for Network+ Cert

I picked up an A+ certification 7 years ago after buying a book and studying for three weeks. I've never used it though as I went in a completely different career direction after that.

My point is that depending on your aptitude and ability to study you might be able to pick up those three certifications with self study in less than two months time instead of six and half. Even faster, if you put in a full 40 hours of study a week. The money you save on testing and a few books is insignificant compared to 4.5 months of your life.

I don't know anything about those certifications, but before you start them, I'd do some thorough research on whether [your current qualifications] + [those certifications] will lead to decent job prospects, if you haven't done so already.

I'm always hesitant about certifications in IT being a silver bullet, because to do most IT roles effectively takes a lot of learning and experience, but therein lies the importance of the research you do on the cert and what it will lead to.

Anyway, I did some quick searching and pulled back this forum post that might be helpful:
Self Study for Network+ Cert

Second this. I'm not at all impressed with certs--they show someone has read the books, they don't show if the person has any ability to actually apply the knowledge.

A few thoughts on certs... Sure degree's are better than certs. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering, so I've had no problems in my 20 year IT career in getting doors to open. My first IT employer also paid for about 5 Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) Solaris week long training course to jump start me, back when places still often paid to train employees. Certs can at least be a starting point towards getting started in a IT shop, at least on a lower rung (mind you that outsourcing is also now rampant at that level). Also, Idiocy Assurance (IA) groups seem to favor paper certs over actually knowing IT security priorities. I've actually had IA idiots ask if we can just remove OpenSSL to deal with the recent surge of CVEs against it. And I have to explain computer systems security to such idiots as they have more political power than I....

Thank you for the suggestions and anyone is encouraged to keep them coming if you know a good source. I found a good short course on Alison that goes over the fundamentals and should provide a good overview along with some of your submissions. My initial tests are next Wed and Thur (Nov 2nd & 3rd) and I'm looking forward to crushing it!

I realize that certifications aren't everything, but it's a program that pays the tuition, books and tests, so I'm not complaining. I currently just have a GED and a lot of project manager experience, retail experience, sales, etc. I think this will put me more on a career path in line with my interests and provide a boost to my income, which is sorely needed.

I'm crossing my fingers, and thanks for your help.

Thank you for the suggestions and anyone is encouraged to keep them coming if you know a good source. I found a good short course on Alison that goes over the fundamentals and should provide a good overview along with some of your submissions. My initial tests are next Wed and Thur (Nov 2nd & 3rd) and I'm looking forward to crushing it!

I realize that certifications aren't everything, but it's a program that pays the tuition, books and tests, so I'm not complaining. I currently just have a GED and a lot of project manager experience, retail experience, sales, etc. I think this will put me more on a career path in line with my interests and provide a boost to my income, which is sorely needed.

I'm crossing my fingers, and thanks for your help.

I realized that the Network+ PDF I referenced before, was probably more towards the training you will get to after these 2 tests. In addition to your Alison link, there is also this link that seems to cover IT fundamentals in a straight forward way, for the CompTIA IT Fundamentals certification:

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/IT_Fundamentals

Well, I passed both exams with about a 90% average, so thanks again for all the recommendations. I get official notification of being accepted on Tuesday if all goes as it should. Now, I'm going to look around about a cheap, decent laptop for school. Mine is 6 years old and weighs a ton. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my mobile, please forgive any grammar or spelling issues.

Back
Top Bottom