• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Researchers Have Finally Identified the Mystery Man on a Led Zeppelin Album Cover

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
A researcher in England has uncovered a copy of the original photograph featured on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV —and revealed the identity of its subject.

Released in 1971, the iconic album features mega-hits like “Stairway to Heaven.” But it’s also famous for its curious cover, which doesn’t include text identifying the band name or the album title.

Instead, it shows a framed photograph of a man hanging against a backdrop of peeling floral wallpaper. The man uses a stick for a cane and carries a bundle of long twigs strapped to his back. Led Zeppelin fans have come to know him as the “stick man.” Some have even argued it was a painting rather than a photograph.

Led Zeppelin IV: 74280994
The album cover of Led Zeppelin IV Michael Ochs Archives via Getty Images
The photo’s origin and the man’s identity have long been a mystery. As the story goes, Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin’s lead singer, was rummaging through an antique shop near guitarist Jimmy Page’s house in Berkshire, England, when he came across the photograph, per BBC News’ Sophie Parker.

He may be the guy who makes you sweat, who makes you groove.

Everyone loves IV but I like II more.

I like all of their albums save for Presence. I really tried to like it over the years, but I always bounced off of it.

Back
Top Bottom