• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SCOTUS Gives Large Swashes of the United States to Satan.. Er, Gheys.

Nice Squirrel

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Only the Nice Squirrel can save us.
From Scrotus Blog:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/10/todays-orders-same-sex-marriage-petitins-denied/

This morning the Court issued additional orders from its September 29 Conference. Most notably, the Court denied review of all seven of the petitions arising from challenges to state bans on same-sex marriage. This means that the lower-court decisions striking down bans in Indiana, Wisconsin, Utah, Oklahoma, and Virginia should go into effect shortly, clearing the way for same-sex marriages in those states and any other state with similar bans in those circuits. Indeed, Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring (who had declined to defend his state’s ban on same-sex marriage) indicated this morning on Twitter that, according to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the mandate in the Virginia cases would issue at 1 p.m., at which point “marriages can then begin.”

I am so happy to hear this. Just so very happy. More to come, this is a good step.

I am so happy to hear this. Just so very happy. More to come, this is a good step.

Maybe not. You shouldn't read into this anything more than a desire to wait until other circuits rule on the issue. The Supremes want to resolve a conflict between the Circuits, not pontificate from on high. From a conservative perspective it could go against Gay marriage. By waiting, the Court may not have to decide the issue for several more years, and in particular hope to have a different court, with a Republican replacing the very ill Ginsburg. Why she didn't resign this summer is beyond me.

Maybe not. You shouldn't read into this anything more than a desire to wait until other circuits rule on the issue. The Supremes want to resolve a conflict between the Circuits, not pontificate from on high. From a conservative perspective it could go against Gay marriage. By waiting, the Court may not have to decide the issue for several more years, and in particular hope to have a different court, with a Republican replacing the very ill Ginsburg. Why she didn't resign this summer is beyond me.

Ginsberg has stated that she will not retire this year because there is no chance that Obama will be able to get a nomination through for a suitable replacement.

Ginsberg has stated that she will not retire this year because there is no chance that Obama will be able to get a nomination through for a suitable replacement.
Actually this could be the last year he could have done so since the dems busted the filibuster last year. She should've resigned. Now I fear she will be replaced by a Republican.

SLD

Or not?

link

article said:
Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy on Wednesday temporarily blocked an appeals court ruling that declared gay marriage legal in Idaho and Nevada.Kennedy's order came a little more than an hour after Idaho filed an emergency request for an immediate stay and about 10 minutes before the state said that state and county officials would otherwise have been required to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
The order also applies to Nevada, where marriage licenses to same-sex couples were going to start to be issued later Wednesday.
What the fuck is SCOTUS on about here? They can't rule clearly on this issue. They let the Appeal Court rulings go without review, but now this?

Or not?

link

article said:
Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy on Wednesday temporarily blocked an appeals court ruling that declared gay marriage legal in Idaho and Nevada.Kennedy's order came a little more than an hour after Idaho filed an emergency request for an immediate stay and about 10 minutes before the state said that state and county officials would otherwise have been required to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
The order also applies to Nevada, where marriage licenses to same-sex couples were going to start to be issued later Wednesday.
What the fuck is SCOTUS on about here? They can't rule clearly on this issue. They let the Appeal Court rulings go without review, but now this?
Obviously, someone in Idaho remembered to say 'Simon Says....'

A cowardly lot of right wing creatures the SCOTUS is. A majority of them probably disapprove but do not want to make too many waves lest the people get more disgusted with them and start throwing rocks. They could have laid this issue to rest and they just played dumb.

Back
Top Bottom