• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Second hand smoke question

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I recently watched this PBS Nature documentary about sloths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vit8V2lWFek
They showed a rehabilitation center for baby sloths rescued from the pet trade.
The owner of this center is unquestionably kind and well intentioned
However, she used new age/holistic medicine to treat their aliments. Some of it seemed pretty harmless like adding rose essence to their water to help calm them.

But in one scene she has a baby sloth lying flat on his back, while she burned some type of incense ( it looked like a red cigar covered in Chinese characters) and spread the smoke around it's little body. Given the fact that second hand smoke is harmful and these sloths are usually in bad shape when she gets them.
I would think this would further jeopardize a baby sloth's health?Does any one know if it would? Or is this treatment harmless too?

One major problem with second hand smoke in cigarettes is the tar. I should hope that there is no tar in the smoke she was using. Another one is the amount of smoke over time. She does it for only a few minutes and it would be harmless. The main problem she would be doing is depriving the sloths from proper vet care. Plus lack of proper food.

I saw this, too. I doubt that a minute of magic smoke treatment now and then would seriously endanger the poor beastie. On the whole I'd say her efforts are for the good.

Back
Top Bottom