• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Selective Mutism is just advanced Alexithymia

Janice Rael

Maybe it's literal, maybe hyperbole.™
Basic Beliefs
I believe I need to ask more people
Selective mutism is just advanced Alexithymia.

Prove me wrong, nerds.

:|

How do you do your homework? With me?

I am busy! I need to finish eating this orange, and, it's not even an orange, it's a Clementine or tangerine or something, but, irrelevant.

You are reading this in the Science forum of IIDB (if my plan works) because of all the reasons why we all already know the words in my unsubstantiated claim, and why and how we already know each other, and accept or reject each other's authority, and/or opinions; or get each other's jokes and ... that's why it's sad, enjoy THAT side quest! Ohhhh NO. :(

Anyway. See ya in 800 years when we solve autism!

Please tell the appropriate authorities. omg you mortal fools, haha! :D

I LOVE YOU, Science Enthu- no, no, I hate him. I love YOU, IIDB Science Forum Readers and Subsequent Researchers, or not, as the case may be.

Perhaps you could consider an alternative perspective, if you had more cultural awareness. You LACK awareness and melanin - I SAID IT - unless you DON'T.

Every time I'm wrong, tell me all the ways how and why. That's how I learn from you.

I can show you evidence that I have the ability to, hmm, say, to teach an autistic person who I've never met how to make ART. It's funny, too. :) That's how and why you learn from me. I train nerds to discover things. It either works, or it doesn't.

So, who's here to provide the evidence for this? pshaw, who cares? IT'S OFF TOPIC NOW.

Why might Alexithymia exist? For what evolutionary and adaptive purposes did the human brain develop in such a way that Alexithymia became a defense mechanism?

(Ask that of everything, every time, until you either learn or laugh.)

We know a lot about selective mutism, and we know some about Alexithymia. Can we use this knowledge to develop any hypothesis about autism, in general, or, to confirm and/or deny all of my claim?

Well, don't look at me, do I look like a PhD or academic? It's your turn! I choo-choo-choose YOU! :) <3

(Apologies for no links)

Oh, good, now we just proved a lot of things I say and think, including why it takes me over an hour or more to eat an orange!

ETA, just so we are clear, this is also MY homework. In so many many ways.

I learned my new word for the day.

Alexithymia is a term to describe problems with feeling emotions. In Greek, it loosely translates to “no words for emotion.” It is estimated that 1 in 10 people has alexithymia, but it is much more common in those with depression and in autistic people. 1 in 5 autistic people have alexithymia.

Selective mutism is an anxiety disorder where a person is unable to speak in certain social situations, such as with classmates at school or to relatives they do not see very often. It usually starts during childhood and, if left untreated, can persist into adulthood.

The standard response if I read you right.

Evolution is mutation plus natural selection. There is no intelligence or emotion to it. There is no purpose to evolution, it is a process like the formation of a star. It just is.

Why are there birth defects? Because DNA replication is not always perfect.

The is no purpose to evolution, our brains are what they are. Mutations get passed on even if there is no immoderate survival benefit.

Adding that modern science and medicine has largely taken us out of natural selection..

In the 19th century if you were born with a superior defect o a weak immune system you died young and did not pass on genes.

Back
Top Bottom