• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shy Trump Voters

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-suggests-polls-are-missing-shy-trump-voters

A couple of interesting articles about “shy” Trump supporters - people afraid to tell pollsters that they’re supporting Trump. This is from over a month ago. But Nate Silver discounts such voters. Yet the two polls to predict Trump’s win in 2016, Trafalgar and Democracy Institute, deliberately put these people into their models, and now they too predict a Trump win again, primarily in Michigan and Pennsylvania. This would leave Trump with a victory but much closer than 2016, and likely a greater loss in the popular vote.

https://mailchi.mp/f2a6e3945688/the-november-3rd-elections

This site, using Trafalgar and Democracy Institute data, predicts a Trump victory. But it all depends on their view of so called shy Trump supporters. They also predict a Republican led Senate.

I think I would actually prefer a Democratic Senate than the presidency. The only reason I would prefer a Democratic President is because of the Supreme Court, and that’s now a lost cause. The next two years will be economically tough, and who ever is President will likely lose big in 2022. If Dems could take the Senate back this year, they could block a lot of Trump’s actions. They could stop all of his judicial nominees. Then they could really increase their power in 2022 and solidify their House advantage. They could even further increase their leads in 2024, while finally winning the White House too. If Biden wins, then we will see a repeat of Obama‘s years where in 2022 Republicans take back the House and Senate for years to come and there is intense gridlock with nothing happening. That’s my biggest fear of a Biden presidency.

SLD

I think it is far more likely there are "shy" anti-trumpers. The trump supporters seem to be pretty open and loud, encouraged by his continuous bull in a china shop approach to everything.

I'm thinking it is likely there are many republicans that are disgusted with him, who won't vote for him, but won't say so openly because they know the kind of harassments they are likely to receive from the trump supporters.

Many surveys have shown that though Republicans support Trump, the numbers of Republicans that do not support Trump are significant. More Democrats will support Biden than Trump if we look at these surveys. Rather than shy Trump voters, we may have Never Trumpers among the GOP staying home or leaving the Presidential choices on their ballots blank.

538 this morning has Biden up by +10.6%.

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone."
- Jack Handey

Many surveys have shown that though Republicans support Trump, the numbers of Republicans that do not support Trump are significant. More Democrats will support Biden than Trump if we look at these surveys. Rather than shy Trump voters, we may have Never Trumpers among the GOP staying home or leaving the Presidential choices on their ballots blank.

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone."
- Jack Handey

On October 13, 2016, 538 had HRC ahead by over 6% nationally and 338 to 199 in EVs. A review of his polling forecasts show HRC never losing either one. He downgrades Trafalgar, both then and now. Maybe this time he's right. I hope so.

Can we not look to the 2018 midterms as a guide? Dems came out when they traditionally do not and predictions were accurate so there were no shy Trump supporters then or they were accurately accounted for. I don't know how there would be an argument that Dems (Biden voters) are not going to come out with an even more sense or urgency or polling while accurate in 2018 is off in 2020.

- Jack Handey

On October 13, 2016, 538 had HRC ahead by over 6% nationally and 338 to 199 in EVs. A review of his polling forecasts show HRC never losing either one. He downgrades Trafalgar, both then and now. Maybe this time he's right. I hope so.

The polls didn't reflect Comey's garbage. The failure of them to predict her loss doesn't mean much.

Back
Top Bottom