• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SiteAdvisor claimed signing out from Gmail would lead me to a harmful site

Tammuz

Basic Beliefs
Skepticism
I have McAfee SiteAdvisor, which basically gives me a warning when I go into a harmful site (though I suspect the program is a bit paranoid, but better that than the opposite).

Today when I signed out of my Gmail account, I got a warning telling me I was going to a harmful site and asked me if I really wanted to continue there. Which is rather strange. I answered "no" and was redirected to the Gmail login site.

I closed that table and opened a new one, and signed into my Gmail account again. I checked the IP history. It said there was one other current session going on, but that IP was the same as mine. I sign out of that session, and then signed out of Gmail, this time without any warning from SiteAdvisor. I signed in again, and again it said another session was going on, but with my IP. I signed that out, and then signed out from Gmail, again without being warned by SiteAdvisor this time.

I restarted the computer and signed in again to my Gmail. There was no issue, there was no strange IP address in the account history.

So why did SiteAdvisor think signing out from Gmail led to a harmful site? And those multiple ongoing sessions on my IP? Is this something to be concerned about or not?

I do have two-step verification, so it should not be possible for someone to crack into my account without having access to my phone. Right?

Back
Top Bottom