• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Solar System Time Line

An estimate of the future of the solar system. Maybe 500 million years for humans on the high side?

I don't think there will be homo sapiens for nearly that long--if we don't do ourselves in we will have changed and the intelligences in our system will no longer be "homo sapiens".

^ ^ ^
I gotta agree that homo sapiens won't be around anywhere close to that long. The average "lifespan" of a mammalian species is only about one million years. 500 million years is one hell of a long time. 500 million years ago was more than a 100 million years before there were any animals on land.

^ ^ ^
I gotta agree that homo sapiens won't be around anywhere close to that long. The average "lifespan" of a mammalian species is only about one million years. 500 million years is one hell of a long time. 500 million years ago was more than a 100 million years before there were any animals on land.
The average mammalian species doesn't know extinction is coming and doesn't have the capacity to take countermeasures.

An estimate of the future of the solar system. Maybe 500 million years for humans on the high side?

The reasons for this are mainly driven by the brightening of the sun. We can compensate for that by moving the earth outward.

Humans will probably be around as long as the environment is livable.

We could put the population on one side of the Earth and have them all jump up and down pushing the planet.

Or go to the other side and pull.

The natural increase in solar luminosity-a very slow process unrelated to current climate warming-will cause the Earth's temperatures to rise over the next few hundred million years. This will result in the complete evaporation of the oceans. Devised by a team from the Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique[1] (CNRS / UPMC / ENS / École polytechnique), the first three-dimensional climate model able to simulate the phenomenon predicts that liquid water will disappear on Earth in approximately one billion years, extending previous estimates by several hundred million years. Published on December 12, 2013 in the journal Nature, the work not only improves our understanding of the evolution of our planet but also makes it possible to determine the necessary conditions for the presence of liquid water on other Earth-like planets.

Like most stars, the Sun's luminosity very slowly increases during the course of its existence[2]. It is therefore expected that, due to higher solar radiation, the Earth's climate will become warmer over geological timescales (of the order of hundreds of millions of years), independently of human-induced climate warming, which takes place over decades. This is because the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere rises as the oceans become warmer (the water evaporates faster). However, water vapor is a greenhouse gas that contributes to the warming of the Earth's surface. Scientists therefore predict that runaway climate warming will occur on Earth, causing the oceans to boil and liquid water to disappear from the surface. Another consequence is that the greenhouse effect will enter a runaway state and become unstable, making it impossible to maintain a mild mean temperature of 15 °C on Earth. This phenomenon may explain why Venus, which is a little nearer to the Sun than the Earth, turned into a furnace in the distant past. It also sheds light on the climate of exoplanets.

We could put the population on one side of the Earth and have them all jump up and down pushing the planet.

That will never work, by conservation of momentum.

I'm pretty sure that Steve was going for humor.

Maybe it would have been more clear if he had included a "winky emoji". But, as the saying goes, if you have to explain a joke then it is no longer funny.

I thought AOC said we only had 12 years left before doomsday. Well, that was a couple of years ago, so its more like 10 now. Yet you guys are talking like we got millions of years left. :unsure:

It all depends on what you mean by doomsday.

IMO life as we have known it post WWII is doomed. Economic and population rowth without limits. The disruptions to the supply chain from COVID is a small example.

Water has slowly leaking into space from the start. We have an idea of the upper bound for surface habitation.

I'm pretty sure that Steve was going for humor.

Maybe it would have been more clear if he had included a "winky emoji". But, as the saying goes, if you have to explain a joke then it is no longer funny.
I am humorless.

Something. I doubt it will be interfertile with homo sapiens sapiens, though. Whether it would be proper to call them "human" is a question for the philosophers.

(Genetic improvements. If at all possible the creators will make them interfertile with the currently living people--but they have no reason to ensure compatibility with those long gone. Over time this would likely render them not interfertile with humanity 1.0 and thus make them a new species.)

Something. I doubt it will be interfertile with homo sapiens sapiens, though. Whether it would be proper to call them "human" is a question for the philosophers.

(Genetic improvements. If at all possible the creators will make them interfertile with the currently living people--but they have no reason to ensure compatibility with those long gone. Over time this would likely render them not interfertile with humanity 1.0 and thus make them a new species.)
Okay, good point.

Back
Top Bottom