• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I was looking forward to this album. It sounds like it was going to be a departure from the lesser accepted The Future Bits which intended to be pop, but it wasn't the best prog pop, and in general the best bits felt unfinished and the remainder was harder to really want to listen to much.

Many people were enthralled with The Harmony Codex, and The Impossible Tightrope long track had promise. It sounds like this was more instrumental, which I took as meaning less lyrical as well.

It wasn't a lot of things. My early take was the first half sounds a bit like The Future Bites and To The Bone and Grace for Drowning. It wasn't great, but I was liking it and hopeful for the remainder. But then the remainder was too chatty, too little of music, and more simplistic like The Future Bites. It wasn't trying to be pop though. It just felt like soft electronic rock. I'll need a few more listens, but I was left with a disappointed feeling that the opening tracks and Tightrope were part of the main album and the remainder were just B-sides.

The other issue with this album was the release. Like, how to get it?! Yes, you can buy the CD, but that was about it. Blu-ray was cheap, but didn't contain much and only a couple places had it. The box set (which had the blu-ray that was the version to want) sold out way too quickly for its sale price, which was very reasonable.

Having been involved with nearly 40 albums, I think Steven Wilson is starting to run out of ideas or is in a dry patch. Most bands do get here after time.

So I got a fishy looking email from Burning Shed's "website" indicating a they had a small reserve of the box set avaialble and they were emailing random people an offer to snag one.

Very fishy! The link hover seemed reasonable. I cut and pasted the text into the bar and it loaded the legit site with that product. This fishy too good to be true offer apparently was true.

Yeah, still have to pay for it, but it was something I was willing to pay for. So I managed to get a copy of the box set after all!

Haven't looked through it and I still need to rip the tracks from the bluray. But quite happy. I'm hoping to enjoy the second half of the album in instrumental form.

Back
Top Bottom