• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Student Resilence on the Decline?

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
I read some comments that student resilency (their ability to deal with adverse events in their personal lives) has been declining. The comments give anecdotal evidence such as some one seeking counseling because her roommate called her a "bitch".

This piqued my curiosity. Does anyone have any links to research on this purported downward trend of student resilency?

I read some comments that student resilency (their ability to deal with adverse events in their personal lives) has been declining. The comments give anecdotal evidence such as some one seeking counseling because her roommate called her a "bitch".

This piqued my curiosity. Does anyone have any links to research on this purported downward trend of student resilency?

Here is a summary article for Psychology Today, which although not the most rigorous journal give some references you could follow up on.

Here is a summary article for Psychology Today, which although not the most rigorous journal give some references you could follow up on.
Thank you.

One that seems appropriate to your concerns is actually a principle in social society. The principle of cognitive dissonance, first demonstrated by Lawrence and Festinger in 1967.

Setting aside they did it with rats and misinterpreted that rats prefer to be floaters they found that rats would choose to go up rather than go left or right if confronted by a choice for food. Their point being that if expectations matched the situation they would work at one level. If expectations were lower they would work at that level. If one experienced in lower level work and expectation they would struggle at high level tasks even though before the experiment they had performed the high level task admirably.

The upshot is that a girl who is always praised gets into a situation where she is criticized or socially denigrated she is likely to fall apart.

Not a society problem at all unless the society in general is so affirmative that expectations are always going to be approval.

Neighbors have a daughter who is seemingly a normal teen, but apparently, according to her parents, doesn't have any coping mechanisms for stress.

Her parents have a happy marriage and are both overachieving PhDs. Afraid she won't measure up to them in their respective fields, the daughter's chosen an interest that has nothing to do with her parent's interests - music. She plays her instrument well, but not enough to get into Julliard. She's a good amateur. She loves going to summer music camps and playing and composing her own music...as long as they're not competitive camps where she actually has to compete with and possibly lose to others by not being talented ENOUGH.

Her parents are worried. She'll soon be old enough to go to college, but she's not interested in a college where she has to take classes she's not interested in and then making good grades in them so she can get a music degree. She'd rather attend seminaries - or whatever you call them - where all she gets to do is what she loves all day long with no pressure to achieve.

Her parents aren't sure what they're going to do with her, since life is 90% of not doing what you want to be doing, and stress is part of life.

Tell them not to worry. Subway grates are warmer then you'd think, so she won't have to worry about frostbite or hypothermia.

Back
Top Bottom