• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Suggested 'Modern' Books

rousseau

Contributor
After some browsing through history threads I've recognized that much of what I read deals with the distant past, and that I haven't read many works that deal with the past 100 years. There has been the odd, more modern book mentioned, though, and it's piqued my interest about modern history.

So I thought I'd start a thread about more modern history, or even modern works in other fields.

What are you reading in this vein? What have you read? What's a modernist book we all have to know about?

After some browsing through history threads I've recognized that much of what I read deals with the distant past, and that I haven't read many works that deal with the past 100 years. There has been the odd, more modern book mentioned, though, and it's piqued my interest about modern history.

So I thought I'd start a thread about more modern history, or even modern works in other fields.

What are you reading in this vein? What have you read? What's a modernist book we all have to know about?

Past 100 years huh? Dang, five months too late to suggest "The Guns of August". Well then, a modernist classic: Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

I read a very interesting book called 'Ultra At War.' It is about the british decoding activity at Bletchley Park. I wish it had gotten a little more technical, but it was very interesting.

Operation Drumbeat by Gannon (also has to do with Bletchley Park, and submarines!)

The first wave of German Uboat attacks on the east coast of the USA.

Pacific Crucible:War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 by Ian W. Toll

From Pearl Harbor to Midway.

On my Kindle:
Neptune's Inferno (the Guadacanal battles).
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors (Leyte Gulf)
The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy and King. [I was aboard a tin can off North Korea and Nimitz's son skippered one of the destroyers in the desdiv I was in.]
Eastern Inferno (memoir of a German soldier in Russia)

A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn

The Condition of the Working Class in England - Friedrich Engels

Koba the Dread - Martin Amis (historical study of the Stalinist terror)

The People of the Abyss - Jack London

Down and Out in Paris and London
The Road to Wigan Pier
Homage to Catalonia

- George Orwell

Try reading "Mein Kampf"- a very interesting read for many reasons. Just don't go looking for a logical argument, in that it is like some religious books.

Back
Top Bottom