• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texas Republicans move to crush local liberty

No. Like most pseudo-libertarian corporatists, you have a very misguided notion of what liberty is. You equate "liberty" with the rich and powerful being able to harm people in any way that is profitable. By definition, any act that impacts another person's body or property against their will is anti-liberty. Violations of liberty can and most often do come from other citizens and the private sector and not from government. Fracking impacts other people's property (which includes public natural resources) against their will. Thus, preventing fracking that is not supported by the public is to prevent violations of liberty.

Ah. Perhaps you should also read what I wrote. In between grappling with your strawmen.

I did read it, and your statement above is objectively wrong and at odds with any reasoned application of the principle of liberty. If "an individual voluntarily" punches you in the face, puts an axe your head, kicks in your front door, keys your car, puts toxins in the river that runs under your land, toxins in the air you breathe, speeds down the public road where kids play, and billions of other possible acts that impact others, then a ban on any of these voluntary acts is a protection of liberty. These are not minor and rare exceptions, but everyday all the time occurrences. Every single valid criminal law (i.e., not including most drug use laws) is nothing other than "a ban on an individual voluntarily doing something". In the real world actions very often have impact on others, so any application of the actual principle of liberty fundamentally requires the banning of many actions to protect others liberty. Failing to ban an action often does great harm to liberty.Thus, it is simply wrong to claim as you did that "when you're invoking liberty to support a ban on an individual voluntarily doing something you're probably doing it wrong." You are as likely to be doing it right. There is no reliable relationship between banning an action and protecting individual liberty.

You reinforce the wrongness of your understanding of liberty when you later say:

I suggested that was the libertarian position. Bans are not particularly libertarian.

Yes, bans are libertarian. You cannot be an actual supporter of the principle of liberty without supporting many bans. Of the actions currently banned under law, the majority are justified and supportive of the principle of liberty. Bans are not particularly "Libertarian" with a capital "L" referring to the formal party and most of those who claim to be "Libertarian", but that is because they are not actually supportive of true liberty, and instead are merely anti-government when it limits the ability of the more powerful to harm the liberty of the less powerful.

That's what the Railroad Commission (aka the much beloved government) does. It sets out the rules so that landowners are protected from harm and issues permits on that basis.

Ok, so you're supporting the government's right to determine what is and isn't harmful to local landowners, displacing any rights the local landowners might have to protect their own land and own interests?

"Government's right"? WTF is that?

I support the government operating a reasonable permitting process to protect the rights of all parties involved.

In Ohio local governments have no control over drilling in their communities, the if or the where of it. And to a point, neither do landowners. As long as a driller can get 65% of the land he needs leased, the other 35% can have a lease forced upon them.
Hope you weren't looking to sell anytime soon.

Many landowners are having the Nexus pipeline forced upon them. While I am not opposed to utility easements, they are a necessity, I get a kick out of this happening in rural Ohio where you'd be hardpressed to find many liberal landowners. Conservatives cursing their conservative government, screaming about their rights.
You reap what you sow.

I've got a gasline easement on my property. I get $15 a year from Columbia Gas Transmission. Like Christmas in March.

Let's see. "Your right to frack ends where ..."

Maybe someone from Teabagistan can make suggestions about filling in the blank.

Let's see. "Your right to frack ends where ..."

Maybe someone from Teabagistan can make suggestions about filling in the blank.

What is "within 100 yards of the lease boundary"?

But it varies somewhat by state.

Back
Top Bottom