• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Apparent Misunderstanding of Failing Electoral Confidence

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Moore-Coulter is everywhere, which is why I was curious about 2016 and Democrat confidence on the election results. A lot of BS statements are being made by conservatives that the Democrats said 2016 was stolen, blah, blah, blah, but I wanted to try to find the numbers and I found something very disturbing.

Election Stolen from Trump polling

We'll start off with the obvious. 73% of Republicans polled thought the election could have been stolen from Trump. Now the not so obvious. That poll was taken in October 2016. Trump has skewed the world so badly, we can't remember too many details from that far back. But yeah, we remember that Trump was saying that the election would be stolen from him, it was the only way for him to lose. What I didn't remember was just how many Republicans (not Trump supporters, but Republicans) believed that.

But exactly, how many Republicans is that? Well, 75% of Republicans think Biden stole the election from Trump.

Noticing a pattern? There is a misconception that the Republicans are losing confidence in the election process.

There is a trend downward, but in 2012, only 1 in 5 Republicans were very confident in the election result, which is pretty low, but more surprisingly in 2008, that number was only 29% in a flat out landslide first term Obama victory that really seemed like it would be a landslide for months. So the Republicans appear to have generated a long pattern of a sense of fairness only if they always win.

The important thing to take from this is most importantly that this predates Trump. So while it has gotten notably worse under Trump, to the point of invasion of the Capitol building, Republicans in majority seem to be incapable of handling not winning elections.

Well, the republicans have spent the last 40 years telling everyone (but mostly only their followers actually believe it) that you can't trust the government. Then they keep running for office to try to prove why.

These poll results don't surprise me. I bet, however, that if you named a government function, even something relatively benign, that you'd get a similar result (ie, they wouldn't trust the government to do some routine function). Propaganda this consistent for so long eventually starts to sink in....

Back
Top Bottom