• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Best ‘Epic’ Song by 10 Classic Prog Rock Bands

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

Here's the best "epic" song (lasting 10-plus minutes) from 10 classic progressive rock bands!

Progressive rock is all about challenging artists and audiences in several ways, not the least of which is seeing how lengthy and multifaceted a composition can be.

In contrast to most other genres (which stick to radio-friendly durations and structures), prog rock is known for producing “epics” that last dozens of minutes, consist of multiple sections/movements and explore in-depth narratives or topics. They often feature overtures/preludes, instrumental segues and recurring motifs, too!

There’ve been tons of exceptional suites released by modern groups, including multiple ones from Dream Theater, Phideaux, Beardfish, Echolyn, Gazpacho, Porcupine Tree and Haken (to name a few). However, it’s usually the side-long or album-long pieces from 1970s pioneers who did it first and did it best.

That’s why we’re diving into the greatest “epic” song from 10 classic prog rock genre acts!

Most of them go for about 20 minutes, but a few last half or twice as long! Regardless, each is an awe-inspiring journey that exudes characteristically masterful imagination, boldness and dexterity.

• The Best ‘Epic’ Song by 10 Classic Prog Rock Bands​

Let the arguments begin!

Rush, La Villa Strangiato. 2112 is epic, but I don't go to it often. The first two portions are rock anthems, but then it kind of slides into mediocrity (for me).

Genesis, The Musical Box and Supper's Ready. Can Utility and the Coastliners to me is the best epic ever, stuffed into a five minute track.

Yes, Close to the Edge, Close to the Edge, Close to the Edge. Gates of Delirium is an epic track, in multiple senses. But Close to the Edge is as close to musical perfection it gets. Supper's Ready is a joyous romp while Close to the Edge is like being reborn.

ELP, I don't like ELP. I don't understand ELP. I'll never get ELP.

How is King Crimson not on their list? Starless to me is King Crimson perfection without becoming too King Crimson.

Back
Top Bottom