• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The discovery that Planet Vulcan does not exist

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
I already knew the story about there not being a planet inside of Mercury's orbit, despite there being good reason at the time to think there was. This guy is awesome with the flair of myth and science.

If there is no Planet Vulcan, then where did Spock from? Certainly not from Tarazed 4 or any of it's daughter worlds. Spock ez euskaldun zan. Planeta Tarazedako jendeak euskaldunak dira.

Eldarion Lathria

I find it very strange that there is no planet within the orbit of Mercury. We know that in other suns there are several planets that are closer to the sun than Mercury. The only idea I have is that there was once another planet that forced the inner planets into a larger orbit and then went into the sun. But not heard that from elsewhere. Anyone got any ideas on this issue?

Spock came from another star, not our sun. It just happened to be called Vulcan.

''Jupiter may have swept through the early solar system like a wrecking ball, destroying a first generation of inner planets before retreating into its current orbit, according to a new study published March 23 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The findings help explain why our solar system is so different from the hundreds of other planetary systems that astronomers have discovered in recent years.''

''... The findings help explain why our solar system is so different from the hundreds of other planetary systems that astronomers have discovered in recent years.''
We don't actually know that planetary systems like ours are rare. We've found hundreds of systems with hot Jupiters and tightly orbiting super-earths because the planet-hunting techniques we've mastered are heavily biased toward finding big, close-in planets. A system like ours would be very unlikely to be spotted even when our best telescopes are pointing right at it.

Back
Top Bottom