• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The next generation of game consoles?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
PS5 could be backwards compatible with PS4, PS3, PS2 and original PlayStation | TechRadar
PS5: All the games, specs, news, and rumors for Sony’s Playstation 5 | TechRadar
 List of home video game consoles

Game consoles have gone a long way from being hardwired and cartridge-patched discrete components to full-scale computers, complete with high-capacity disks, networking, and full-scale operating systems.

Both Sony and Microsoft are working on the next iterations in their lines of high-end game consoles. Technical details are scarce, however.

I forgot this one:

Xbox Two: what we want to see out of a new Xbox | TechRadar

Back to the PS5, I've found SemiAcccurate gets some Playstation 5/Next details ($1000 Subscription to read / Summary in OP) | ResetEra linking to SemiAcccurate gets some Playstation 5/Next details - SemiAccurate

The full article requires a $1000 subscription to read, but here is a short summary of it.
-Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi.
-CPU is custom Zen
-Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out.
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released as this is a "sure sign that the launch is getting close". Not definitive.
-VR "goodies" baked in at the silicon level. (My Opinion, not authors: Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon. VR support inside the PS5 right out of the box)

AMD Navi release date, news and rumors | TechRadar -- an upcoming AMD GPU

The "Zen" Core Architecture | AMD - Zen - Microarchitectures - AMD - WikiChip -  Zen (microarchitecture)
Zen is based on a SoC design.[15] The memory, PCIe, SATA, and USB controllers are incorporated into the same chip as the processor cores. This has advantages in bandwidth and power, at the expense of chip complexity and die area.[16] This SoC design allows the Zen microarchitecture to scale from laptops and small-form factor mini PCs to high-end desktops and servers.
SoC --  System on a chip

Back
Top Bottom